Aperture Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phenixdragon, May 18, 2010.

1. phenixdragon macrumors regular

I am new to Macs and i started checking out iPhoto and Aperture but I have a question. It appears that with Aperture, when you add photos it adds them to it's library and does not read the files it was added from. Also, even though I have the option not checked to create a new version when making adjustments, it appears that it still does. i can see the master image still untouched in the library.

Is there a way to have Aperture to not add photos into it's library and just read the files from the location that I already have them? And is there a way to have it edit the files directly? I mean it is nice to have to have the mater files untouched but most of the time, I want them touched and if I don't I can just create a copy and edit the copy.

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Aperture uses lossless image editing, which means by definition that the master image must remain unchanged. I don't know why you'd want to keep only the version anyway. Versions are nothing more than stored sets of filters and so take up very little space.

3. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Because I do not need multiple copies and it makes it tougher when using OS X and Windows 7 along with my wife only using Windows 7. I just want 1 copy, 1 structure of my photos.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, what I said is still true whether you like it or not.

5. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

OK? Which only explains how it works, which I know, but doesn't answer what I am asking about.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ok, I'll admit I don't know exactly what Aperture does, since I've only been using it for a few weeks. My inclination is as follows. When I add files to Aperture I tell it to leave them where they are. I notice there is an "Aperture Library.aplibrary" file, which I assume stores data on the master files, versions, etc. If you want your versions to be accessible outside of Aperture, you need to export them. I don't exactly know what the OP wants but perhaps this helps.....

7. jampat macrumors 6502a

You need to setup Aperture to use referenced files. This will read the files from a conventional location instead of burying them in a library file. That will solve part of your problem.

As for editing, Aperture is not Photoshop, it does not like to edit your master files. As someone already said, it keeps track of what you did to a master file and shows you the result. Unless you export the edited file, I doubt your wife will be able to see it. Aperture is expressly designed to organize photos within Aperture and have them accessed by Aperture. If you want pictures organized and edited in folders and accessed by anyone at anytime with any software, photoshop (or any other graphics editing software) is a better fit for you.

The strengths of organizing within Aperture include the ability to create many versions of pictures with very little additional storage space, easy keywording, smart albums and having the same picture in many different albums with no additional storage space (ie. an outdoor picture can be in shown in cottage, winter and outdoors albums, but only physically exist in one place). On the flipside, all of that organization solely exists withing Aperture and is not visible to your wife (unless she also has Aperture and uses it to access the database).

8. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

I think I can work with that. I think what I will end up doing is use Photoshop to edit the masters, but use Aperture to manage the files or making small changes for prints, sharing, etc...It adds some steps but it'll work.

9. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a way to ad photos into Aperture while using the referenced files? I am only seeing a way to relocate the masters and I have thousands of photos.

10. phenixdragon thread starter macrumors regular