Aperture: How do I view different edited versions of the same photo?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LincolnsiPod, Sep 18, 2011.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Recently installed Aperture, and while I have a handle on how stacks and adjustments work, I'm trying to figure out how you can view multiple versions of the same photo.

Let's say I have a master, and I create two new versions from it, one version edited to show in sephia colors, and the other edited in black and white. I've done this, but now I can't seem to find these versions. I guess they would need to be exported first? If that's the case, am I right to assume what many people do is export these versions, and then group them back with the original photo in stacks? Just trying to figure this out...

2. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok found the new versions, just wasn't looking hard enough. :D

Just to clarify, is it standard practice to try different types of adjustments for a master photo, creating new versions for each adjustment/s you like, and then stacking them together for easier organization?

3. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

4. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, so it's just a matter of preference then. :D

5. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Technically in Aperture when you make an adjustment, or colour change etc, it doesn't make a new file. Its just a small data file that tells aperture what the effect is. This is why its non destructive (unlike iphoto).

6. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

I wasn't aware that iPhoto actually changed the files. Thanks for letting me know!