Aperture: how do you sort Events by date?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pyramis, Jan 23, 2010.

1. pyramis macrumors member

I'm trying to import iPhoto Events into Aperture through Aperture's built-in function (File->Show iPhoto Browser). But the Events are sorted alphabetically instead of by date. I can't figure out how to fix this.

On a couple of occasions I've opened the iPhoto Browser to find it sorted by date, so I know it's possible. Was it a fluke or is there a workaround? Any answer one way or another would be great. :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AFAIK you cannot do this. Try adding the date to the beginning of the project name or create folders for each year

The problem is both apps organize images very different and the issue arises when you try to make one work like the other

~
    Mike

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Anticipating this... we just renamed all of our photo folders as follows:

1997-04-15 London
    1997-04-19 Paris
    2009-12-25 Christmas
    2009-12-31 New Years Eve
    2010-01-01 2010 Misc

Each "event" will be sequential irrespective of how we sort. Each year has a "Misc" folder for anything we do not want to organize.

We are getting ready for many 10's of thousands of imports into Aperture.

/Jim

4. pyramis thread starter macrumors member

You renamed iPhoto folders or events? Did you automate this or do it manually? I'd love to see an automated solution.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

We migrated from Windows... where the data was stored in "year" folders. Essentially, the existing sub-folders in each year were the equivalent of events... but they did not have the 2009-12-25 type of prefix.

My wife wants to use iPhoto... and I want to use Aperture. Hence, we will have two separate databases of our photos... and we will import them into both databases as we acquire new photos.

Moving them into iPhoto is a simple drag and drop experience... and the folder name persists as iPhoto events.

For Aperture, my plan is to create "blue folders" for each year... and then have projects in each year using the same name ex: "2009-12-25 Christmas"

If you want to learn a lot about the power of aperture (ex: why I am choosing "blue folders"), I would recommend that you visit Robert Boyer's website as he has a wealth of information and focuses on the "why" rather than just the "what". His knowledge is mind numbing. http://photo.rwboyer.com/

/Jim