Aperture & iCloud?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jadot, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

Do you think we will ever see a version of Aperture libraries based in iCloud?
    I doubt it's possible due to large file sizes, but then there's a very good chance that I don't know what I'm talking about!

2. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Well there is Photo Stream now. I have libraries in Dropbox. As far as iCloud, IMHO, it does not work very well for storage and syncing. I suspect that it will be much improved when iOS6 is released in October. However, the only new picture feature that are being talked about is the ability to share Photo Stream and not a photo gallery. But, we shall see if Apple includes iPhoto/Aperture in their iCloud improvements.

3. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Aperture integrates a part of iCloud, namely Photo Stream. But storing whole libraries in iCloud, I think the problem is bandwidth: RAW files easily weigh in at ~20 MB a piece for many cameras and it is not uncommon for my projects to contain ~100 photos. I don't think this is a viable option -- yet.

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If you have mass cloud storage (e.g. NAS), just put your Aperture library there. Then no matter how big your library is, you can have the same functionality as if you put your library on iCloud.

5. HaimBresh macrumors newbie

Aperture crashes on vault update

I have read all the mail from 2010 to June 2012, and it seems the problem is still there, whatever the Aperture version! I get it all the time with my two vaults, which are on two different drives! I have checked the drives with Disk Utility and they are both fine. The Vault is quite big - around 240GB, but this was nota problem before. I have also followed the procedure of repairing the Library database, but nothing makes any difference. My Mac Pro is a Mid 2007 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with Lion (cannot install newer software on this version of the Intel Mac).

Any ideas? This is driving me bananas, as well as the fear of drive failure without a proper vault backup. Help please!

Haim

6. HaimBresh macrumors newbie

Who could possibly pay for Mass storage on the Cloud? I have an Aperture vault which is about 250GB! Is there no way of sorting Aperture out that anybody has discovered?

7. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it will happen one day. Thirty years ago, the best home computers had 32KB of RAM, and networks were a dream for most users. Look where we are now. My laptop has getting on for a million times as much memory as that. Make a note of this bookmark and come back in a few decades. The connected world will be insane!

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

No clue if Aperture interfaces with it, but Yahoo's Flickr "photo cloud" offers 1 TB of storage for free.

http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/

I've had great luck using Time Machine to backup my Aperture library, but I'm just an amateur that prefers Aperture to iPhoto. I could see how Time Machine wouldn't be a good backup solution for professionals that use Aperture.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Have your Library in the cloud would make for some very slow load times.

Actually even if you use vaults, using Time Machine also is a good idea. TM will get your incremental changes and if something happens to your disk you can recover what you just did.

Vaults make for a good second (and maybe third) backup of your photos. I've seen people who had a failing harddrive and a backup disk that was failing as well, and when the system disk died, the backup disk failed trying to recover from it. I believe in Murphy's Law, so I do have 2 backups of my wholesystem and another backup of just my photos.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Aperture Libraries are too large to have them on the cloud. I'd rather not see this type of integration, it doesn't seem to serve a purpose other then doing it just because you can say its cloud enabled.

11. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I would like a way to use my iPad in another room and at least view my photos within Aperture and Rate the photos, Add Keywords, Delete, Flag photos.

Maybe use some adjustments but I would really like a way to sit on the couch and go through a large photo collection and not be "secluded" to the basement where the iMac is.

*not sure if this is something in a similar vein.

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree.

What I would like to see is an approximate equivalent of what apple does for music with "iTunes Home Sharing"... where my entire Aperture library was easily viewable on any device on the local area network.

I would not care if it was able to be manipulated (in fact.. I would prefer that it wasn't)... but it would be nice if local copies could be made from the shared images... and pulled into other photo libraries (either iPhoto, A3, or into IOS albums.

/Jim

13. darelmiler macrumors newbie

In Aperture libraries based in iCloud we turn on Photo Stream for an Aperture library, and it is set to automatically upload photos to and download photos from Photo Stream. Aperture settings are automatic on and off. So no issue to image resize.

14. d.steve macrumors regular

Totally with you here. I've been hoping for exactly this for a couple of years now but not really expecting to get it. I don't care about adjustments, either.

Other than the convenience of the couch, the touch interface could potentially make tagging pictures a lot easier than on the Mac itself, too.

15. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Yep, would be good for that too.

I want to be "post PC" with my Aperture collection/library and be able to refine my library...then move to the computer for "final" edits.

I used to save LOTS of not-quite-in-foucs photos because "it was the memory I was after" but after many years I go back to something 5-10 years back and think I'd rather lose some of the simply "snapshots" that are out of focus and go on a deleting binge.

but I don't want to hide away from family in doing that. I am fine with having it Local Network accessible only.

16. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes. Some scenarios to worry about

(1) Lightening strikes the power line within a half mile of your house and frys all the equipment that is plugged in to AC power, that means the Time machine disk and the computer. You loose both copies

(2) Theft of the equipment, the their takes you backup drive and the computer

(3) fire, flood, r other natural disaster

So an off site copy of youe work, located perhaps in a fire safe in some other building.