[Aperture] If I edit a picture, where in finder is it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eroxx, Feb 21, 2014.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

If I edit a picture in a managed library, I understand that that doesn't change the "master." that being said, though, where is the "version" in the finder? Thanks!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The best way of thinking about this is that you NEVER EVER see a master. You only see "versions". When you import... a version is created, and that is what you see, you do not see the master that is stored away.

When you make an edit, you are making an edit to the version. Then, what you see are changes to that version... but the master (that you never see, is still intact). That edited version will look the same in all of the albums, slideshows, light tables, etc where you are using it.

You can also create new versions from the same master. You can create as many different versions as you choose... and in those cases, each of the versions can look different... ex: color, B/W, cropped, edited, etc. Hence, you can have very different "looks" all originating back to the same "never changed" master.

/Jim

3. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Is there NO way to see those versions in the finder?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only if you exported the version.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Aperture and iPhoto do not work the same way :

iPhoto DOES create a "version" file, stored in the "Modified" folder.

Aperture does NOT create a modified image : it creates a small file holding the data that are applied to the master to let you SEE (or export) the modified image.

Therefore, you won't find any "version" in the Finder, or even in the Aperture Library : it simply does not exist.