Aperture Image Editing Problem. Black Box

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cosmokanga2, Feb 24, 2009.

1. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

While playing around with this one image today I got a black box in the top half of the image. It only happened when I changed the highlight OR shadow. I would make a change, the black box would appear. Then I'd undo the change and it would disappear. Redoing the change didn't always recreate the problem. I was editing a NEF file and hadn't done any other changes to the image. I've attached images of what it looks like along with images of when it doesn't but the same settings are used.

Restarting Aperture usually fixes it but some times I have to do it a few times. Any ideas what the cause it? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. steeveage macrumors member

I've run into a similar issue where the whole photo goes black. I ended up having a bad hard drive that was dying a slow death, and my disk access times were getting progressively worse. After swapping the drive, this problem went away.

3. cosmokanga2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Great. I hope thats a worst case scenario as a few of the images were going black. Editing images can be a little so with lag between a change being made and it appearing. Glad I just bought a back-up drive.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

This happened to me once before also. I just quit Aperture and restarted and havent seen it since.... Not to sure what was causing it...

5. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

This has happened to me too on many occasions. I use Aperture heavily, so that's probably why I've encountered it a lot. I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the program that occurs with RAW files only. Relaunching Aperture usually solves the problem. I think I may have had to reimport the photo in one instance. I've had the problem with a variety of drives, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

6. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Yes, happens to me occasionally too.

My library lives on a FW400 external drive, maybe it could be a drive speed issue?