Aperture Import Failure - Not seeing all photos on memory card

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghoztman, Apr 5, 2010.

1. ghoztman macrumors regular

Hi all,

Recently Aperture has a problem reading all the photos on my 4GB Sandisk memory cards (2 cards, same problem).

When importing pictures from Aperture (RAW) - it only reads about 10 pictures, displays the thumbnail and then stops reading from the card (when there is still hundreds more pictures to be imported).

What I have to do is import with iPhoto and then drag them into Aperture. This is a pain though. I happens on both my memory cards and is a recent thing. It used to work.

iPhoto reads the memory cards in the camera very quickly, but Aperture consistently fails on more than one memory card which leads me to exclude the cards as the point of failure.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Aperture 2.1.4
    Canon 40D
    Sandisk Extreme III 4GB

2. tom.clements macrumors newbie

Yes I am having exactly the same problem.. interestingly I'm using the same setup as you - same camera, version of aperture albeit I think my flash card is the Sandisk Extreme IV.

I have worked around the problem in the same way by importing to iPhoto, but this used to work fine in Aperture. I don't have any clues to a fix for Aperture as yet unfortunately.

3. tom.clements macrumors newbie

I think in my case this could well be due to me shooting in sraw + jpeg rather than straight raw.

Apparently, the os x update for raw format (3.0+ IIRC) only supports Canon sRaw for Aperture 3 and iPhoto '09 - so if I want to use this format I must upgrade grr. I don't really see why Canon sRaw support wouldn't be system wide (rather than application specific), but I have resigned myself to using the jpegs for the wedding shoot I did on the weekend, but will keep the raw files just in case I need in the future and have upgraded.

I did try converting to DNG (using the Adobe converter), but this didn't improve things. In future I'll just have to shoot full size raw if I want to use this format.

4. ghoztman thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information. It's interesting that you have the same setup with the the same problem.

I'll keep an eye out and see if there are any particular circumstances under which the problem occurs. I was shooting in jpeg and sRaw. I'll have to play around with this. I was under the impression that all mac apps used the same Raw engine whether it be iPhoto, Preview or Aperture.

I don't fancy having to upgrade on account of this.

Once again, thank you very much for the feedback, it's good to know I'm not alone.

5. schafdog macrumors newbie

Same problem with Raw+large jpeg

also with a Canon 40D and aperture 2.1.4, but different CF card (a-card 16GB)

Anyone with a solution? Firmware update or aperture 3.x ?

6. rozfrancis macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I just encountered this problem for the first time myself. Have never had any problems in the past. and now it seems to be the same for iPhoto. If anyone has figured out a way to solve this that would be amazing!

7. drdanmorris macrumors newbie

Possible solution for 40D and Aperture 2.0

Hi

This happens to me all the time (currently shooting in JPEG Large + RAW mode). The solution which works for me is to hit the Cancel Import button (the cross at the start of the import from/to arrow on the Import screen), and then hit the Import button (down arrow) on the toolbar again. The second time around seems to pick up the remaining photos ok.

I have incidentally just ordered the Aperture 3 upgrade (nothing to do with this problem - just wanted the extra editing features). I'll let you know if I the problem still persists after the upgrade.