APERTURE/iPhoto libraries - best location?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by romeo.xk, Apr 5, 2009.

1. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

How you doing guys? Newb to :apple: here...

So, I have a new 17" 2.93, 7200 rpm HD, I also added time capsule ( I use it wirelessly ) and a additional 320 external portable HD ( that I keep hooked to time capsule)

THe problem is that since each program creates it own library, my picture file automatically triples and I'm trying my best to keep the MBPU as clean as possible.

Should I keep all the pics in the internal HD and stop crying about the room? ( I do like to take lots of pics!) Or should I keep them in the external HD? Since I can take this one with me. And if I move all the pics and libraries to the external HD, would I get any speed problems?

Thanks for your opinion...

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If your default drive is small, it might be more useable to upgrade the internal drive to something more spacious.

I just keep mine in the Picture folder along with all the application catalogues my application generates. As a backup, I make copies of the entire folder to another drive. Currently I shoot in RAW and a typical image take up approximately 15-25Mb (depends on the camera I use).

3. romeo.xk thread starter macrumors 6502a

My internal hard drive is 320 GB

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

500Gb are on the market... they're cheap! :D
    alternative option, remove the optical drive and replace it with an Optibay, install a second 500Gb drive and have a total of 1TB in your laptop!! Thought you'll have to fiddle about with the internals fittings yourself.