Aperture & iPhoto: Library Management...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Future Blues, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Future Blues macrumors member

So I have the latest version(s) of both Aperture and iPhoto and I'm really confused by their integration... Or lack of, rather.

I decided that I was goint to let Aperture manage my library once I got it and had planned to import all my existing RAW files (all right now stored on a seperate HD) into Aperture and than deleting those backup directories and letting Aperture manage all that from now on, backing up using vaults and whatnot.

However, I figured that if I had my RAW files in Aperture's library iPhoto would be able to see them as though they were part of iPhoto's library as well. Why does this matter? Well iPhoto can do slightly better slideshows than Aperture because it runs a little better (IMO) even on my 2.4Ghz 15" new MBP.

However, I was seemingly wrong. iPhoto can "browse" Aperture's library, but it doesn't integrate Aperture's library into it's own library which is causing me considerable distress. I want to be able to browse my Aperture library in iPhoto like I can browse all my other photos in iPhoto.

This leads me to my next question... Would, for this purpose, ditching Aperture's library and just using referenced photos work better for me? Should I just reference my RAWs in my photos folder or something and forget about the convenience of vaults and backups? It seems to me that if the files are referenced RAWs, I'd be able to have them in my iPhoto and Aperture library at the same time without issue-- or am I wrong about this too?

Why has Apple dropped the ball here? I mean, I can make photos in my Aperture library my screensaver (and even seperated by albums/etc. for this purpose) but can't view them in my iPhoto library except in a separate window without any slideshow functionality, etc. etc.?

Am I missing something important somewhere?

2. liveexpo macrumors member

My advice is just to establish your own archiving system, and use Time Machine (if using Leo) to worry about backup issues. Its just all part of forging your own digital work flow. It can take some time to establish what's best for you. Being a wedding photographer, it was vital for me to create a water tight system, so depending on your background, this may affect your decisions.

I like to be able to remain in control and not let programs like Aperture make decisions for me, when it comes to keeping track of images.