Aperture / iPhoto Theory

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cflem, Jun 11, 2014.

1. cflem, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

cflem macrumors regular

cflem

I do not think we will se an update to iPhoto or Aperture at all in the near future... at least in its present form.

With 10.10 introducing the "Photos" app and iCloud Photo Libraries much like iOS it is time for a paradigm shift in how we think of photography.

I see the next gen of iPhoto and Aperture woking much like the apps we see in iOS today. a shell / front end of editing tools that interface with the "Photos" app itself. The applications will no longer have a photo library - they will just work with the iCloud Photo Library storage directly.

I think once we get used to it this will be pretty cool since we all work with so many photos and desire the need to have all our images with us as much as possible.

I hope they allow us to have separate iCloud libraries though - for Pro and Personal photos.

So look for a complete redesign and a completely different way of thinking about photos in OSX - Apple is about to change everything again and revolutionize how we see our images... I for one believe this is going to be great.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I look forward to a new Aperture. I am assuming it will build on the same Core Imagery platform as being used for the new Photos app. The difference will likely be in the extensions and plugins from Apple and 3rd parties. I hope Apple tells us more about a new Aperture when they launch Yosemite and IOS 8 this fall.

The devil is in the details.

3. suprakc macrumors regular

Really cool thought! I am a novice photographer, and I have been using iPhoto for my RAW files. I recently downloaded Lightroom (trial) and I just can't quite find a love for it. I think, despite its age, I will begin using Aperture. I think an update to it will either come in the fall (october) or, along with the new Photos app - next year.

Either way, cool thought. I enjoyed your post.

4. MCAsan, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I suggest you use Aperture with a referenced library, not a managed one. While the managed library with only a few hundred images is OK. But she you get to having a set of images that need over 500GB of storage, having that library on the boot/app drive makes less and less sense....especially for a Macbook. I put all my library folders (music, pictures, movies, documents) on a large external drive set and made dang sure the library drive is included in Time Machine backups.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7625
    http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/Aperture 3 User Manual (en).pdf

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

There are several things we need. Whoever offers this first will take over the market. Will it be Apple? I'm beginning to doubt it. They seem to have abandoned the pro market to build phones. But here is what I'd like

1) as you say, separate the editing of media from the management of media.

2) Keep all type of media, photos, video, audio in one library that can be searched

3) Let multiple users share the same library but with access controls. Do is very much like the way allSQL DBMSes work. This should be easy as Core Data uses SQL. They just need a multi-user back end

4) Allow the above library to be distributed over many physical storage locations. I want to keep some of it on my mac book, some on a large external NAS and maybe some on the iCloud.

5) as for editing, there mist be multiple editors. pst users will just want to crop and adjust the exposure. Like in iPhoto and others will want layers, selections and masks as in Photoshop.

6) here is one Apple would never do. So I'm thinking about Adobe: Make the library cross platform. It should work the same on any device.

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Most people don't use the cloud, and never will.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I only the cloud for ISO device backups and keychain backups. I would never depend on it for serious photo library handling.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If Apple were to turn Aperture into an iOS style app with cloud storage as a default, I don't know of a single serious user in the Digital Photography forum who would continue to use it.

Photos and Aperture for photographers are like Garage Band and Logic Pro for music people. Both are music apps but you won't sell one to the other's user base.

Dale

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan