Aperture/iPod Touch bug still not fixed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by parish, Sep 3, 2009.

1. parish macrumors 65816

parish

I've just u/g to Snow Leopard and Aperture 2.1.4 and the annoying bug - where when I connect my iPod Touch whilst Aperture is running it opens the Import dialogue and asks if I want to import photos from my iPod - is still there.

This would make sense if it was an iPhone as that has a camera - although it should still be possible to disable it - but makes no sense with an iPod as the photos on the iPod are uploaded from the Mac in the first place, and in my case are exported from Aperture.

Before anyone suggests it, in Image Capture I've set No Application when a camera is connected and it doesn't fix it - but it does stop Canon's EOS Utility starting when I connect my EOS 400D. I've also reported it using Aperture Feedback.

Anyone found a way to stop this?

2. devburke Guest

It doesn’t have a camera, but it CAN take screenshots and save pictures, so it is listed as a device in iPhoto and Aperture, since it can take pictures that you may want to import.

3. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

That's not a bug. Your iPod has the ability to hold pictures, and the corresponding directory. So Aperture is seeing that.

It doesn't talk other apps and know that iPod belongs to that computer. It's just seeing mass storage, and images.

4. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

OK, both of those are valid points that I hadn't considered, but I'm 99% certain (I'll check tonight) that it doesn't happen when I plug in my mobile phone, digital camera, or a USB stick, all of which are mass storage devices and contain images. It appears to only happen with my iPod - maybe because it's an Apple device perhaps?

At the very least Aperture should have an option to ignore removeable devices.

But surely the OS handles the connection of removeable devices? I have the action to take when a digital camera is attached set to open Canon's Camera Window, which happens and Aperture doesn't see the camera (again, I'll test this to confirm) - or at least it may see it, but doesn't open the Import dialogue.

Edit: Aperture ignores my phone and USB sticks, but does open the Import dialogue when I attach my 400D, even though Canon's s/w fires up.