Aperture is ugly.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappySnail, Aug 13, 2008.

1. HappySnail macrumors regular

Why is Aperture different to everything else. It's made by apple and yet the style is completely different. there are no traffic lights. and the gray is a rubbish indicator of wether the window is active or not. Is there a way to make it look like everything else or am i stuck with this style, I think Logic is also like this but am unsure why.

thanks

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Because it's a pro app. All the pro apps look like this.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Aperture, Logic and Final Cut all use the Apple "Pro" style. This is grey, and less distracting to work in as preferred by professionals: the application does not distract from the actual work.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

In Aperture at least, plain interfaces help concentrate the eye on the photographs and help distingish colours on the photo. If you have too many colours on the interface you risk distracting the eye away from the photo.

Having said that, I think both Aperture and Logic 8 have great interfaces. You should try Final Cut Pro, now that has an ugly unmac like interface. The problem is it works very well so Apple are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I think that's subjective to a large degree. I find the monochrome / graphite themeing pleasant. It's easy on the eye and functionally laid out, which in my mind is what it should be, considering what it is.

6. HappySnail thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Cheers for the feedback. I don't mind the colorlessness. It's just the fact that it doesn't quite fit that annoys me, oh well.

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

The grayscaleness (word?) is definitely a plus. Having colors in the app desensitize you to the colors in the photos.

I think it's just a matter of being a big app with a lot of different options. It would be pretty difficult to squeeze all those options into an iPhotoesque interface.

If you don't dig it, try spending the majority of your time in full-screen mode. I promise that won't disappoint in the eye candy department.