Aperture issues after upgrading to Lion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by odinsride, Oct 16, 2011.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I just upgraded my Mac Pro to Lion today (clean install), and have noticed an odd behavior in Aperture.

In the split view with the film strip at the bottom, I can no longer scroll up and down with my mouse to scroll through these pictures. I have to use sideway scrolling to scroll now (using a Logitech mouse).

Is this something new or did I miss something? See screenshot below for reference

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This isn't a Lion issue, it's an undocumented (or poorly so) change in the recent A3 update. This affects me under SL, as well.

BTW: Thanks for the sideways scrolling tip, I thought the mouse was disabled completely. I have a LogicTech MX 1100.

Dale

3. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Well this is rather unfortunate..what could possibly be the reasoning behind making this change?? I was running 3.1.3 in SL and only now have upgraded to 3.2 since installing Lion

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Honestly, I don't really miss it. It scrolled so fast that I had to lock the scroll button to keep my place in the film strip. I usually just use the arrow keys to move through images. I work off a keyboard and mouse on my MBP, and the update to A3 may have some new feature if you use the trackpad.

Dale

5. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

6. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I imagine the change is part of Apple's recent "natural scrolling" push. So, because the thumbnails are arranged horizontally, you scroll horizontally instead of vertically.

Since you are using a third party mouse could you change how scrolling works in the settings? And maybe only in Aperture? I know with Wacom tablets you can change everything application by application, can you do the same thing with your Logitech mouse?

7. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I thought of trying this, but mapping vertical scrolling to horizontal scroll (in Aperture only) would still present some issues - other places where vertical scrolling works fine (library list, browser view, etc) would no longer behave properly.

8. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Could you have all scrolling directions be mapped to vertical scrolling? Or would that still have the same result?

9. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I believe that would still not work since vertical scrolling has been completely removed in Aperture while in split view.

10. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have you tried just pressing the shift key while scrolling up and down with the mouse ? That side scrolls on most other apps I know of.

11. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Except Photoshop :/ I hope they change that.

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

initialsBB: Thank you for that tip, I didn't know about that. It scrolls the film strip just fine. Where did I miss this?

Dale

13. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Hey, it works! Sucks that I have to press an extra key now to scroll but better than not scrolling at all