Aperture Library Issue Please Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jsf8x, Dec 26, 2010.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Hi,
    Today, I tried to open my Aperture library. A message popped up saying this

“Aperture Library.aplibrary” is an iPhoto library and cannot be opened in Aperture.

I don't understand. I've never used iPhoto in my life. What is the problem here I can't lose these pictures!

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Something got corrupt is my guess. You do have backups right? If you don't I can't stress how important backups are.

What you can do if worse comes to worst and you don't have any backups is right click on it and hit "Show Package Contents" Your photos will be in the "Masters" folder in varies folders there are hundreds of them. Copy this out Masters folder somewhere else like your desktop.

Now delete your library and make a new one by just starting up aperture with the old one deleted.

Now drag the folder onto Aperture and let it import/process the images. You will have to re organize everything into folders and depending on how many photos you have it might take a long time.

Like I said I can't stress enough how important backups are either with the built in backup software in Aperture or with time machine.

3. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Well I did as you said.

I guess its not the end of the world but I've got about 6k pictures (probably not a lot compared to most people on here).

At least it will be nice and organized :)

4. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Sorry I did not fully comprehend. Is it working now? If you got it working you should set up a backup. To do this I would use time machine. Just connect an external drive it should pop up and ask you if you want to use the drive for backup say yes. If you don't have a drive for your mac here is one below

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Externa...WPZ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1293432825&sr=8-3