Aperture Library on my MBP getting too big.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mynewromantica, Jun 6, 2010.

1. mynewromantica macrumors regular

Here is my situation:

I have a MacBook Pro with a 320GB HD. I also have a 2 TB external hooked up to my AirPort Extreme. I shoot weddings, some fashion stuff and am a student.

The problem I have is my aperture library is getting too big to keep on my laptop and keeping it on the external drive is REALLY to work from.

How do those of you with MBPs and limited space deal with growing libraries?

2. Jpoon macrumors 6502

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Can you keep the masters on the external drive and reference them? That would save some room.

But honestly, I'm in a jam of hard drive space right now too. Just ripped a couple of bluray dvds for on the go viewing and it's taking up a few hundred GB already.

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

You can move the library wherever you like~

PS: Delete "Preview" can save a lot of space :rolleyes:

5. raxafarian macrumors regular

I'm going through this right now. I had a 500GB drive on my 2008 MBP and just upgraded to a new MBP and figured I'd try something new.

I moved my entire photo library to a mirrored external 1TB. That library is currently about 300GB.

I kept 2010 pics and the collection I call "Best Pics" on the laptop. As I add photos to the laptop I update the external mirrored with carbon copy cloner to add to the backup (do NOT use "remove files no longer on source" or whatever that option is). At a certain point I'll delete things off the laptop drive and they already exist on my external mirror and backup drives.

So, my entire photo library is on a mirrored raid. I back that up to two other external drives and keep one of those off-site.

Your volume of shooting may be much higher than mine but maybe you can archive by year?

Edit: I am using lightroom but managing the library should be similar?