Aperture Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DelapsusAngelus, Apr 28, 2009.

1. DelapsusAngelus macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have just switched all my photos over to Aperture 2.0 from iPhoto 09.

My library size showed as 19GB when iPhoto, but in Aperture it is showing as 39GB, twice the size. Can anyone help me get back to its original size, with out losing/ruining the photos.

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Aperture automatically generates previews and thumbnails for all files be default. You can turn off preview generation (or at least turn down the size/quality) if you want. Check the application preferences (and then remember to tell Aperture to delete/regenerate previews).

Google can tell you exactly how to do any of the above.

3. DelapsusAngelus thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for your time. Ive had a look on Google, but havent found anything yet. You dont have a link do you like step by step.

Thanks for your help though.

4. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Actually the biggest reason for this is in the different ways that Aperture and iPhoto create edited versions. iPhoto as soon as you do an edit even with the things as simple as a rotate it creates a duplicate of the photo as well as the original. When you import your library into Aperture it imports both versions. The more photos you edited in iPhoto the more photos you will end up with in Aperture. When these get imported into Aperture it will auto stack them with their originals.

When I finally noticed this I made the decision to get rid of 98% of the edited versions which came from iPhoto as I could re edit them in Aperture and re edit them with better quality usually. When you perform these edits in Aperture it does not duplicate the image like it did in iPhoto. It writes a set of data on how to display the image and also creates a preview and thumbnail of the edited image. Those you can control how big or small they are in Preferences. As far as out of the box settings they are usually good enough for most people.

Right now you have probably all your originals, all your edited versions and then Thumbnails and Previews of each. You need to decide which way you want to redo your library. It does the import like this on purpose and had no selection to choose otherwise when importing. I liked that it did do this in the end even though I deleted most. however there are a few I wanted to keep in the end. If you get rid of your edits you should find in the end your library should come up smaller than in iPhoto.

Good Luck

Kevin :apple:

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Obviously Googling for "Aperture Preview" was way too obvious. Anyway try this (towards the bottom in case reading is also challenging).