Aperture & Lightroom alternatives

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AlexH, Mar 13, 2012.

1. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Pretty simple question... Are there any decent alternatives to Aperture and Lightroom? I'm not a full blown Photoshop user, and I don't have any big issues with either of these apps, I have just been curious if there are any real alternatives that offer similar functionality.

Any ideas?

2. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

FX Studio Pro
    Pixelmator

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

PhaseOne Capture Pro I think it's called? I don't think you need a phaseone back to use it, the program will work with all major DSLRs.

Also DxO Optics used to have a similar product, don't know if they still do. I used to use them but they seriously botched a couple releases of their software and I moved on.

4. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Pixelmator competes with Photoshop Elements, not Aperture or Lightroom. The latter focus on organizing photos while Pixelmator is a photo editor.

5. toxic macrumors 68000

Bibble
    CaptureOne
    DXO Optics

or you can just use ACR and Bridge. I use Aperture and CaptureOne, honestly C1 doesn't work so well by itself. all the plugins for Ap/LR mean you can get by without PS.

both of those are completely different.

6. Eolian macrumors regular

I've read that ACDSee Pro is very capable, though I've not used it personally. Current page looks to show a significant pricing discount for Mac.

I have used ACD's Canvas X for many years, and can attest to the terrific power and flexibility of that program. Shame that's not currently supported (though it still runs quite smoothly on 10.6.8); I suppose it's an open question have far they'll go with ACDSee.

7. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

I've heard favourable things about Darktable from some POTN users. Link