Aperture & Lightroom alternatives

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Pretty simple question... Are there any decent alternatives to Aperture and Lightroom? I'm not a full blown Photoshop user, and I don't have any big issues with either of these apps, I have just been curious if there are any real alternatives that offer similar functionality.

Any ideas?

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
PhaseOne Capture Pro I think it's called? I don't think you need a phaseone back to use it, the program will work with all major DSLRs.

Also DxO Optics used to have a similar product, don't know if they still do. I used to use them but they seriously botched a couple releases of their software and I moved on.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Bibble
CaptureOne
DXO Optics

or you can just use ACR and Bridge. I use Aperture and CaptureOne, honestly C1 doesn't work so well by itself. all the plugins for Ap/LR mean you can get by without PS.

FX Studio Pro
Pixelmator
both of those are completely different.

Eolian

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
I've read that ACDSee Pro is very capable, though I've not used it personally. Current page looks to show a significant pricing discount for Mac.

I have used ACD's Canvas X for many years, and can attest to the terrific power and flexibility of that program. Shame that's not currently supported (though it still runs quite smoothly on 10.6.8); I suppose it's an open question have far they'll go with ACDSee.