Aperture - Lost Master Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by staticbool, Sep 22, 2013.

1. staticbool macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to aperture, used to organize all media files with JRiver MediaCenter on my old Win-PC.
    Happily I switched to Mac now where MC is only about to be developed and for now only accepts music files.

My problem:
    I googled myself to death, but still cannot find an answer to this.

When performing a let's say "non standard script operation", my picture files were consolidated (and moved) into another folder. Unfortunately it did affect the master files inside the aperture library.

Let's just assume they have been lost (which is the case) and cannot be brought back!

However, aperture shows the version-files in correct size and style.

Is there any way to let aperture build "new masters" from version files? If I could do just that I'd be more than happy.

2. Consultant, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Restore from Time Machine backup.

Or contact Apple for support
    http://www.apple.com/support/

P.S. Might want to rethink your workflow. You can search all your media files using OS X Spotlight.

Also, the software you hope to promote has very few reviews. I doubt anyone will buy a windows software that looks like iTunes for $50

3. staticbool thread starter macrumors newbie

@Consultant
    Thanks for the Reply. As said, the pictures are gone and cannot be restored, since the backup drive has crashed along with the master pictures.

So all I've got remains the version pictures, which are actually much better to become the new master. The question is just, how can I make them master files? (and get rid of the yellow triangle)

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Previews are used across OSX in many applications. They are what Aperture (or iPhoto) share.

For example, open preview, and you should see a "media" source. Click that, select Aperture, and you can import them into preview, and then save them from there.

These would ultimately be re-imported into Aperture as your new masters.

/Jim

5. Iemons macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I just ran into the same problem. I realised that around 100 photos were offline and all masters had been deleted or gone missing. My next thought was wether it would be possible to retrieve the previews and use them as masters.
    Selecting the photos and dragging them out of Aperture (say to a new folder on the desktop) will create or more like copy the previews for your use. You can then link your offline photos to the previews and get rid of that yellow triangle :p
    Hope this helps in case that you haven't already found a solution. I registered just to write this by the way :p