Aperture Low Resolution Wallpapers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by holtchristian, Jun 5, 2011.

1. holtchristian macrumors member

Hey Guys, I'm having a strange issue. When searching through the photo browser in the wallpapers preference pane, my aperture photos appear low resolution, and is quite frustrating. Even when I drag them out from aperture to the desktop they come out 600x800, but when I export master they come out big and nice. I tried looking through exporting settings but have not found a fix. Why can't it just locate the hi res file automatically. Thanks for your help

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Pretty sure both of those things use the previews that Aperture builds. What resolution are your preview images (check the Aperture preferences).

3. holtchristian thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping this would work, but I upped the preview size to maximum quality. It took awhile to process all the photos, so I was hopeful, but tried to change the wallpaper again but still bad quality. Restarted my computer and tried again, still nothing. What the hell.

4. Snypod macrumors newbie

Snypod

I was having the same issue and upping the preview resolution and quality fixed it for me. My desktop wallpapers look perfect now and photos I attach to emails using Mail's built-in photo browser are full resolution and great quality. I was also surprised to find that this increased the resolution and quality of the "optimized" photos that get synced through iTunes to my iPhone.

I'll explain what I did in case it helps. Using Aperture 3 I set the photo preview size to "don't limit" and the quality to "11". Then I went to the "Photos" tab in my library, selected all my photos, right clicked on a photo and chose "Delete Previews". Finally I closed and reopened Aperture, at which point it automatically created new previews for everything.

Generally speaking, dragging to the desktop is not the way to export photos. Instead, right click on a photo, choose "Export -> Version", then pick an image preset in the drop-down menu. You can alter a preset or create your own by choosing "Edit" at the bottom of the drop-down menu. "Export -> Version" exports your photos with any adjustments you've made to them in a format/resolution/quality of your choosing. "Export -> Master" copies the original image file to your hard drive untouched and in it's original format.