Aperture Migration to LR

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Average Pro, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Average Pro macrumors regular

The time has come. I have begun the migration from Aperture to LR. Maybe somewhere down the line Photos will inherit the editing tools of Aperture. I went all the way back to 2014 and could not find a thread on the "best" way to migrate files. I figured it was because LR has a function to do exactly that. These are the instruction I used: http://lightroomkillertips.com/moving-images-aperture-now-built-right-lightroom/

Thankfully LR pulled over faces and other settings. The disappointment was that it only pulled over the original RAW file. Any changes made to RAW files (crop, exposure, color, etc) were not saved. I am in the habit of making multiple copies of RAW images then changing only one setting. This way I can make a quick comparison. I even rename them, but only the "one" original RAW file got transferred to LR. This was a really bummer as there are some photos I spend a significant amount of time getting the skin tone and clarity just right. NOTE: Any file which was converted to tiff or jpg, is copied over as well.

In order to capture the multi-edited RAW images, I plan to use the "search" function and "add rule" for "adjustments". I'll export them as tiff and then import into LR.

Another thing I noticed was that even though I changed the names of the files when I imported them into Aperture, LR reverted to the original file name out of the camera.

Questions:
    1) Does anyone know how to get LR to import an edited RAW image (from Aperture)?
    2) Does anyone know how to get LR to save the name of the file during transfer?

Have a great day

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The plugin that Adobe offers is your best option to getting most of your Aperture information to LR, its not perfect and the edits are one of things that doesn't come. Since Aperture handles its non-destructive edits completely different then Lightroom, its nearly impossible to accommodate

I imported my images, but I also kept my aperture library and program accessible so if I want to go back I can.

It not an ideal situation but its better then what we had before adobe provided the plugin.

3. Average Pro thread starter macrumors regular

I've completed the fist Project from Aperture. I see that LR saved the "faces" under "keyword list". When I click on the Happy Face (People) Icon, there is no one under Named People. I know that LR has detected and identified people based on settings within "keyword list". Am I missing something? Shouldn't all of the identified faces show up under "Named People"?

Thank you

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never used faces in Aperture, so I'm not sure.

5. Average Pro thread starter macrumors regular

I'm actually referring to the settings (and view) on LR. If the names show up under "keyword list" should they also appear on "Named People?"