Aperture Migration

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cnstoll, Sep 14, 2010.

1. cnstoll macrumors 6502

My Mac Pro is set to arrive any day now to replace my PowerMac... and so I'm revisiting my plans to upgrade my Aperture 2 library.

What I need to accomplish:
    1) Install Aperture 3
    2) Update my library to Aperture 3
    3) Migrate to an entirely Referenced library from my current Managed one.

My library is about 1TB with over 100,000 pictures. I was planning to proceed in the order above. Install Aperture 3 cleanly on the new computer, run all the updates, and then copy my library over and proceed with the update. After that I plan to use the "Relocate Masters" option for the entire library to move everything to what will become my "Masters" drive.

To be honest, I've already researched this a bit, and I believe I am going about it the right way. But I decided now that I'm only a few days away from doing it, that I would see if anyone has done something similar, and if they have any tips or anecdotes about how the process went for them.

And yes, I do have a backup in case I screw up :)

2. mlblacy macrumors 6502

just did the same thing...

well mostly, I did not make the switch to a referenced library. I would that part last though. My library has around 75k, but I have a bunch of material I am pulling in that used to be in Portfolio. My advice would be to break down the material into smaller libraries if possible. Switching between libraries is pretty fast and easy, and it reduces the heavy lifting. It took about two days to finish, but a lot of it was just spent copying files to some new drives and then making add'l backups. A3 is a nice improvement, I had held off of both Snow Leopard & A3 because I was running off a 24" iMac, and was limited to 3gb of ram (now I have 16gb).

The process went smoothly for me. Only minor hitch is NIK is still running in 32 bit (except Viveza2). Updates coming for that...
    good luck.
    michael

3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Yes, done it, wrote about it, live by it and LOVE it. library went from 90G each to one combined 10G library with a full mirrored drive that holds the masters...