Aperture - Moving Images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by onomatopoeia, Apr 11, 2008.

1. onomatopoeia macrumors 6502

onomatopoeia

I'm trying to reorganize my Aperture set-up and ran into a bit of trouble.

I was using an organization system based upon Projects but after reading this I decided I wanted to emulate the date based folders.

Currently, the project on the top of my tree is entitled "2008 04 05". I want to move those images to a structure similar to the article linked above. So, I need a Blue Folder named "2008" with a sub-Blue Folder named "04 - April".

I created these blue folders and just figured I could select the images in the old "2008 04 05" Project into the new Blue Folder. Not so fast. Aperture won't let me drag photos from a Project to a Blue Folder located outside that Project.

So, how do I do this? Would it be better to dump my current library and start over with the new organization scheme? If so, how do I go about that?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jeromie macrumors member

My understanding is that photos must exist in a project (and only one project). If you want to move pictures into the blue folder, you'll have to create a project in that folder. You'll notice that Speirs has projects inside his blue folders.

Also, not to confuse you if you've decided on an organization scheme, but I found this article interesting as well. I haven't tried it out yet... my copy of Aperture 2 is in the mail.