Aperture Noob: Where are my RAW files?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by GregPQ, Jul 10, 2010.

1. GregPQ macrumors regular

GregPQ

I've upgraded to Aperture 3 from iPhoto and am a little confused about RAW files in Aperture. I shoot JPEG+RAW with a Nikon D60 and when I imported into iPhoto, I could see both the JPEG and RAW and choose which one to work with. Also nice for displaying a 'before' and 'after'.

In Aperture, I'm only seeing one image, although I suspect that it is housing both the JPEG and RAW file, if that is possible.

Anyway I can 'see' both the JPEG and RAW files in Aperture?

Greg

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I think Aperture uses the jpeg as the preview for the raw. I guess the only way to tell if you're editing raw is to select an image, change the tab on the left to Adjustments and see if you can change the Exposure.

Don't hold me to it, I'm an Aperture noob too...

3. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

If your files are managed by aperture (and not referenced), the raw files are the "full files" and the previews are the jpegs. You can actually change this behavior and have aperture create its own jpeg previews but using the camera's jpeg is the default. If you want to find the file in finder just option-click the image and choose "show in finder."

4. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

If you use Aperture (or Lightroom), shooting RAW + jpg is pointless. Since the RAW file will give you higher quality, this is what Aperture uses by default. Editing the jpg instead would give you zero benefit, on the contrary.

5. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

If aperture doesn't have to spend time generating previews, then I think raw+jpeg might be a good thing if you don't have quad core goodness (like me :()

6. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Aperture always generates a preview from the RAW file. I think it may use the embedded jpg file until the preview has been generated, though.