Aperture on 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KyleKlink, Sep 2, 2009.

1. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I'm still unsure what Macbook to get, but I know for sure that I want to get Aperture 2 for editing digital images. Has anyone used Aperture on the 13" MBP? I'm concerned about being annoyed with the smaller screen with editing images.

I suppose I could just connect the MBP to my 24" LCD when editing images, but when Im out and about and need to edit something I will have to use the MBP's screen.

So, 13" or 15" recommended?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

I don't have a 15" Mac, rather a 13". But I never used Aperture, so maybe my opinion doesn't mean anything, but if you have the money, go for the 15". Why, cause editing pictures sometimes you'll need a larger area so you can see what to do. Otherwise, you can zoom in on the image on the 13" but you'll have to scroll around.

Not sure if that helps or makes sense.

-- Mel

3. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I used Aperture on my 15" mbp and just bought the 13". I continue to use it and there an obvious difference in the resolution (not so much the actual size, just resolution) that I picked up on right away.
    It's still do-able, I've used it to edit photos and it was alright... I wasn't pulling out my hair or cursing because it was difficult.
    In the case you mentioned, if you're out and need to use the MBP screen, I think you'd be more than fine... maybe I'm missing something but I'm not sure how people can say it's impossible to do on the 13". It would definitely be easier at a higher resolution though.

I would think go for portability of the 13" (not that the 15" is not portable) and get a monitor for your desk... that's my plan (only got as far as the laptop though).

4. Skull21 macrumors regular

I had previously owned the 13" MB and found the screen way too small to edit my photos. So I went with the 15" MBP, but next time I want to go for the 17" :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Aside from the screen size, the 13" MBP is more then capable in handling Aperture. I was using aperture on my 15" MBP and I keep the GPU on the 9400m. The 13" MBP has the same GPU so pound for pound it will run and run nicely.

How you deal with the small screen is another matter and personally I think if the laptop isn't going to be hooked up to an external monitor, then the 13" display is too small and limiting for aperture (or photoshop for that matter).

6. jqc macrumors regular

I ran Aperture on my old 2.33ghz late 2006 15" MBP and now also on a mid 2008 13" MBP. Both run the program just fine hardware wise (actually both seem to be about the same in loading images, notice occasional lag in dragging sliders on the 13").

In terms of editing in the field, the difference in screen is very noticeable but for reviewing a shoot, tagging, etc it is fine - the trade off is portability. Also something to consider: you can now get a matte screen 15". The glass screen outdoors and in uncontrolled conditions (planes, airports, etc) is extremely annoying.

7. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I use Aperture 2 on my 2.4ghz Whitebook with a GMA X3100 and it works great. However the screen space is kinda tough. Not bad for on the go, but I would recommend a monitor for at home use.

8. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502