Aperture on MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DenBeke, Oct 27, 2013.

1. DenBeke macrumors regular

At the moment I have an old white MacBook with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics.
    Unfortunately, Aperture runs way to slow on this older machine.

Now I was looking into a newer MacBook, but I don't really know what I need in orde to run Aperture.
    Will any MacBook with an Intel HD3000 be good enough, or do I need a 4000 or Iris graphical card.
    Or will none of these run smoothly and will I need dedicated graphics in a MacBook Pro 15"?

I don't need te fastest thing in the world, I just need to work a bit with Aperture.
    Most of the work will be done on a Mac Pro, which has an ATI HD5870...

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Aperture works great on my 13" rMBP, its a early 2013 3.0 i7

You don't need a dGPU

3. DenBeke thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks!

Anyone using Aperture on a MacBook with Intel HD3000 graphics?

4. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Well my 2011 15" will automatically turn on the dGPU (AMD Radeon 6490M) the moment Aperture is activated. It is a coded dependency. I suppose I could force it to use the iGPU but I see no reason to. I can tell you that even with this dGPU running Aperture along with other more simpler programs and plugged into my 24" ACD there is significant lag when viewing all spaces and transitioning between them. It's annoying and suggestive that the HD3000 would choke.

5. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Aperture is highly reliant on hard drive speed for loading image previews so if you are hanging when switching photos you need a faster hard drive (read: ssd)

6. DenBeke, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

DenBeke thread starter macrumors regular

I'm 100% sure that it's not the hdd that is the bottleneck here. I'm working on a Mac Pro and MacBook. The Aperture library is on both of the computer on WD hard drive.

The Mac Pro handles it all very well, but the MacBook doesn't. And it's normal, it has an old processor and graphics card, and only 4GB ram... (it's just everything that lags)