Aperture on new iMacs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by colorspace, Aug 8, 2007.

1. colorspace macrumors 6502

So what do you guys think about aperture's performance on the new top of the line 24" 2.8Ghz iMac. Will the new processor, vid card and increased L2 cache significantly improve performance say over the 1st generation iMacs?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd look at the 7600GT or HD2600 Pro iMacs for that.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

The new iMacs use glossy screens. In my opinion that means they can't be used for serious photography. I doubt you will ever, even with hardware calibration, get the on screen image to match a print. For some reason the glossy surface messes with the apparent contrast. Do the current batch of colorimeters even work with the new iMac screens? Also remember that the iMac is limited to only 4GB of RAM.

I think Apple crippled the iMac so that it would not cut into Mac Pro sales

4. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Yes, they'll be plenty, even with the 2.4 GHz cpu. I run Aperture on my first-gen 2 GHz ProBook with 2 GB RAM. The (faster) graphics card in the 24" iMac should be plenty. It should be a lot faster than your iMac G5.

As for the glossy screen, I have to disagree. Although my ProBook has a matte screen, I have seen and briefly worked with glossy screens, they are just fine. CRTs have had the same problems as `glossy' screens for years and unless you try hard to position your screen, it probably won't bother you at all.

If you are in doubt, don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it and have a look at the new iMacs at your favorite retail store.

5. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

If you look at the product lines from the "high-end" graphic monitor companies like Eizo, I don't think you will find high gloss displays.

6. colorspace thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking more in regards to the CPU and GPU - you could always get the 20" iMac and run the thing as a dual monitor machine with an even bigger LCD for the photo workspace, no? Even then the cost should be well below a Pro and large LCD.

7. colorspace thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone with experience with new iMacs & Aperture yet?

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The new iMac screen doesn't calibrate well.

9. oduinnin macrumors regular

So then, you've tried calibrating one of the new iMacs? Which one, as I understand the 20" has a TN screen but the 24" does not.

10. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Have you tried?

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, but screen calibrators don't calibrate glossy screens well.......or so I've heard.

12. colorspace thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, setting screen issues aside. Anyon have anything to add regarding the Performance of Aperture on either the 2.4 or 2.8 CPUs?

Specifically I'm wondering about performance with large libraries, generation of slideshows (without previous previews), editing full screen with HUD, etc.

Thanks

13. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356