Aperture on the Air!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by longdrag, Sep 26, 2012.

1. longdrag macrumors member

Hi,

I have an MBA 2012 - 4GB - 256GB - and want to use Aperture on it. My photos are currently in JPG - bit what is the air like at processing these -

Additionally if I want to work with RAW files is my Air up for processing them speedily enough?

Any info would be great

Thanks

ld

2. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

I find Aperture to be slow on my 2011 Air with D90 RAW files. I use it by necessity and not by choice. My primary workstation is a 2006 Mac Pro that works very well, so I'm not sure what the hell the problem is (video card?).

Apple has an Aperture trial, you might as well give it a shot.

3. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I shoot Canon 5D Mk II and have the 2012 MBA 11" 2.0GHz 8GB 256GB and handles my RAW files in Aperture quite handily. I usually intend to transfer them to my iMac but hardly ever change them over because it's much more convenient to edit wherever I go. I did the same with my 13" MBA with 4GB 128GB and still performed admirably. The air can handle Aperture quite well.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a 2011 MBA ultimate, and whilst I do use Aperture on it it can slow the Mac down at times...The heavy lifting is done either on my MBP or my iMac (see screenshot for specs)

Both my MBP and the imac run it well, and whilst you could get away with it, I don't think it's the ideal PRIMARY tool for photo and video work.

Attached Files:

5. Fujiko7 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately it doesn't any more, now that Aperture is in the Mac App Store. On the other hand, it's now a lot cheaper than it used to be.

6. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Bah, you're right. I was confused because it used to and some of Apple's other pro-apps have trials despite being on the App store.

7. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

If I can run Aperture on my 2009 White Macbook, then I'm sure your 2012 MBA will do just fine. Depending on the image size and plugins you're using it may lag here and there, but it should be fine. I only experience MAJOR lag when I'm using brushes. That being said my RAW images are only 10MP. Larger files would probably be a bit worse. If you JUST purchased your MBA then I'd advise in upgrading to a model with 8gigs or RAM. Aperture is less processor heavy and more of a RAM hog like many other Apple apps. The more the better. Either way I'm sure you'll be just fine.

8. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

I'm running Aperture 3 on a 2007 2.2Ghz C2D Macbook with 4Gb RAM, the rubbish Intel GMA3100 graphics chip and OS 10.6.

I regularly edit Nikon D200 RAW files with it. It is definitely usable (definitely not ideal), and you can do a whole days work with it - just finished a editing a wedding in fact. The Nik 64bit plugins are teeth grindingly slow to use now though (the older 32 bit ones ran quite well).

IMO, a persons happiness with their computer's performance is often relative to whatever else they are used to working with (say a faster computer at work). I'm sure Aperture will run fine on a 2011 Air, it's just that there are faster solutions (and much slower solutions if you have a 2007 Macbook!) out there...

Obviously a faster computer allows you to do more work in one day :)

9. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I routinely edit Nikon D300 RAW files (12 MP) on my 2012-i7-8GB-256GB MBA. It's a much better user experience than on my 2008 2.8GHz C2D iMac with 6GB RAM and 240GB SSD.

What I found on my iMac was that 6GB was the sweetspot for RAM when running A3 and ML. At 4GB, I would frequently have page outs and beach balling; at 6GB that all disappeared. However, with the faster bus speed, RAM and faster SSD on the 2012 Air you may not even notice page outs with only 4GB of RAM.

10. anewman143 macrumors regular

anewman143