Aperture or Photos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brdeveloper, Oct 29, 2014.

1. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Hello. The Aperture app is being sold for about $80 on AppStore. Is it worth buying or is the new-coming Photos a perfect replacement with the benefit of being free?

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

No, it's too late. It's gone. It has passed. Kicked the bucket. It's dead, as Monty Python said. Just save your money. If you need better than Photos when it comes then Lightroom is the next step.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

As much as I like Aperture, it's hard to recommend that someone spend the money on it right now. Photos abilities are unknown right now but I rxpect that a lot of high end editing will be via add-ins. That may take some time to develop.

What is your current need? Will iPhoto be sufficient until Photos emerges? Aperture has a bit of learning curve. Would you be willing to invest that time and money knowing that you may discard it in a year or so?

I'm happy I went with Aperture over a year ago. I expect it continue using it well into 2015 as I evaluate Photos.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If the Photos for iCloud beta is any indication, Photos for OS X should be pretty decent. It has many of the same editing capabilities that Aperture had. The WWDC 2014 demo indicated that the OS X version should include (or be able to have an added extension for) lens and perspective correction.

If you need something now, there was an offer for DXO Optics Pro 8 for free over on PetaPixel (note that this is an older version of DXO, but free is free). There's also Lightzone or Darktable, both of which are free open source programs.

5. brdeveloper thread starter macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Well, I'm an amateur photographer which I was thinking about having a good application and workflow for pixel-level photo editing. I really love Photoshop, but it's monthly fee is too high for just sharing some post-processed pictures with friends or Flickr.

Currently I'm using Gimp and Preview app. Gimp is good for processing raw files and editing at pixel level, but its layer handling is really annoying sometimes. Preview is nice for viewing and a superficial color/levels adjustment, but it's rather limited.

----------

I'm a bit resistant on workflows which rely on cloud (paid) storage. If it was free, I'd be ok, but I'm just an eventual amateur photographer lately (although I have a dozen of lenses, film cameras, digital compact ones and a pretty old DSLR).

In short, I want the ease of a professional tool (like Photoshop) but with a simple workflow which not depends on paid cloud storage. If possible, I want to keep my pictures in a home file server.

----------

Thank you. How these applications compare to Photoshop and Gimp? I know PS and Gimp are more than photo editing apps, but I want something that provides their main tools (layer support, smudge, dodge/burn, stamp, etc) in a good and stable GUI.

6. xylitol macrumors regular

Aperture is closer to Adobe Lightroom than Photoshop. Good and affordable alternatives to the latter are Photoshop Elements and Pixelmator.

7. Razeus macrumors 603

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I was wondering if you needed something that had better organizational abilities or better photo editing capabilities. If you have your own storage method, then a good editing tool may suffice. Consider Pixelmatr or Photoshop Elements. If you need the organizational capabilities then Aperture or Lightroom is the way to go.

I started with iPhoto and liked its organization ability but the editing fell short. That's why I switched to Aperture. I'm not a fan of Adobe products so Lightroom wasn't an option for me. YMMV.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm using the DxO Optics freebie I got. It's pretty good if you don't want to deal with libraries. It has a weird to me interface though, but I actually like it more compared to Corel AfterShot which I got from a bundle deal.

All these apps have demos. Go check them out.

10. xylitol macrumors regular

OR: If you want the organizational capabilities of iPhoto, you can use e.g. Pixelmator from within iPhoto as an external editor. Or you can open (browse) iPhoto library from within Pixelmator.

11. brdeveloper thread starter macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I downloaded trial versions of Pixelmator and Acorn. Both seem suit my needs. I'll have a couple of weeks to decide. Thank you!

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Actually I am feeling the same way. If they are not supporting it in 10.11 it is really unethical. People who would want to upgrade their OS in less then a year spend $80 now for an app with an unclear future in regard to wether they will still be able to use it or not. And not everyone is following Apple.

13. LV426 macrumors 6502a

But Apple will be supporting Aperture in 10.11. It just won't get any new features, and they'll stop selling it. Down the line there will come a point where Aperture and the OS you're running now will go out of support, like most software. Even then, you will still be able to use it.

They've also said that Aperture photo libraries can be migrated to Photos when it comes.

Not unethical at all.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I thought they said they'd only be supporting it through Yosemite or am I mistaken on that?

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

16. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Yeah, it surprised me thy they still advertise on their site and have it in the MAS since they discontinued support on it.

17. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Essentially, this is no different than an annual edition of a book, or of a car model - they're sold until the next edition/model comes out. Some people will want/need it now, others will wait for what comes next.

And if they took it down, there would be topics here complaining that it's not available. The way the iTunes and App Stores work, you can re-download past purchases so long as the product remains in the store. So, Apple does the "ethical" thing and pulls it from the store tomorrow. Now, let's say someone needs to make a new installation of an already-purchased copy of Aperture? "OMG, where did it go, I paid for it, and now I can't put it on my new MBP!!!"

18. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

"Discontinued support" in Apple-speak is "If you need help, we won't provide it." If you buy a copy of Aperture today, you get the same software support that you would have gotten before Photos was announced. If you call Apple today (and at least through the life of Yosemite), there will be techs competent to provide assistance.

Apple has discontinued further development of Aperture.

Apple has discontinued further development on OS X Mavericks, too. They've released a new product called Yosemite. You need tech support for Mavericks? Mountain Lion? Lion? It's still available.

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Excatly...I agreed with you 100%! :apple:

20. LV426 macrumors 6502a

The three year support plan I got with my MacBook Pro covers the hardware and all Apple-purchased software that's installed on it. That includes Aperture.

21. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

But that doesn't mean they support Aperture on a newer system. Actually I think they clearly said that there is one maintenance release for Aperture - and that was 3.6 to get it compatible with Yosemite and thats it. After that you need to migrate to Photos.

Of course Aperture may or may not run in 10.11.... who knows.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That was my point. We'll only see some small patches to make sure its stable on Yosemite. I don't think there's anything on the hardware side that will break Aperture, i.e., its more OS sensitive then hardware, if that makes sense.

23. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Right - I think we have the same understanding here. And my original point was that if that is actually the case then still selling it knowing it won't be compatible with 10.11 which will be released in less then a year is not ethical for a company like Apple.

I mean I follow macrumors, theloop and what not but how many customers do that...?