Aperture or Photoshop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Just wondering which one is better, or what the main differences are? Im looking to do a little bit of photo editing and money isnt an issue. Just wanna know what the differences are.
    Thanks

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Aperture doesn't support RAW from my Panasonic Lumix LX3, that's the main difference to me!

You can download a trial of Aperture which lasts 30 days.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You can download demos of either, personally, I feel Aperture is limited compared too Photoshops near infinite abilities... But that's my opinion.

Download trials, and have a mess around, that's the best way you can see which one you'll find you like.

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

thats a good idea, i did not even think of that lol. Well im off to download trials than and see which i prefer:eek:

5. s6diver macrumors newbie

I think Lightroom is more of a competitor to Aperture than Photoshop. Give that a go, you won't be disappointed :)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Fixed it for ya.

7. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Lightroom looks very nice indeed. is this one of the premiere products currently available?

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You can't equally compare Aperture to Photoshop - they are completely different.

Aperture - photo management
    Photoshop - raster editor.

Compare Aperture to Lightroom instead.

9. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

ok well im looking to do some minor editing like i said, I think i will go with lightroom. Does that leave aperture completely out of the picture?

10. s6diver macrumors newbie

Thank you :eek:

11. s6diver macrumors newbie

I haven't used Aperture as I brought Lightroom with me when crossing over to Mac from PC. There are gazillions of free presets (Develop, Web etc.) available for Lightroom to make your editing very interesting. If you would like some links let me know.

Ian

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Try them both out and see for yourself.

Aperture and Lightroom are applications that help a photographer use ONE program for cataloging, toning and adjusting, outputting, backing up, and archiving their images.

Photoshop (when only using the IMAGE TAB) just does the toning and adjusting and outputting, and only printing for the output.

LR and AP have their plusses and minuses, check both the trials out and see for yourself.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

As already said, Photoshop doesn't compare with Aperture, as they aren't designed for the same purposes. Aperture and lightroom are the main competitors.

But you say you want to do light editing, why not Photoshop Elements? Its the in between of iPhoto and Photoshop. That'll do alot of what photoshop will do except for the really high end stuff that won't get used by a majority of the population who 'obtains' photoshop for the wow factor and plays with brushes and layers. Aperture and Lightroom's strengths come from in the field quickie edits and easily importing and tagging massive image databases quickly and easily.

14. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

maybe ill have to try elements than. Wow, there are a lot of programs to choose from. I guess ill have to shop around a bit and see which one i like best.

15. CobyL macrumors newbie

I am using a beta version of Photoshop CS4, even though I think the real one has been out for some time, and it works great for me. I have tried Aperture as well, and although it was sufficient, I didn't like it as much as Photoshop.

16. Marsil macrumors member

As said they are two different programs doing different things.... I use both. Aperture or Lightroom is good on the go and to sort photos and also some basic editing. Start with one of these and then see if you need photoshop.

17. jbrettz macrumors member

I would head over to the DPreview site/mac forum and ask your question there. They have heavy users of both programs. Or better yet, do a search of the mac forum for the two programs and you should get a lot of results.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1017

Brett

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Lightroom 2 has better integration with Photoshop. Plus if you use it, Lightroom 2 supports multitouch, while Aperture 2 doesn't (go figure).

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Aperture supports multi-touch just fine.

Both apps work with Photoshop just fine.

Lightroom uses curves, Aperture levels, but a good toner knows how to use both effectively.