Aperture (or something else)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by roadbloc, Jul 13, 2014.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm currently running iPhoto 08 (ver 7.1.5) on my G4. Recently I've gotten into editing my photos need something with more features to touch up my pics and since iPhoto has gotten more sluggish the more photos I add, I figured it was time to search for alternative and better software.

First off, is Aperture even what I want? I'm assuming it is since it is meant to be "iPhoto for pros" and I do understand that Apple have recently ditched it but that is unimportant to me. Second off, is there a version that will run nice a smooth on my G4 (800MHz, 1GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)? And finally, is there a trial I can download to try before I buy?

And finally finally, if you think Aperture will just bring me a world of hurt, what can you suggest I use? Thanks for any replies. :)

2. harrymatic macrumors 6502

I don't think your iMac will be able to run any version of Aperture as it doesn't have a supported graphics card. That said, you can often bypass the hardware requirements check to run the program anyway, but I can't imagine it running at all well on such lowly hardware.

I run Aperture 2 on my Power Mac G4 - it runs fairly well, but you have to modify both the installer and the actual application to circumvent the hardware requirements check (it complains that it will only run on a G5 or a 1.5GHz+ Powerbook).

You could try Pixelmator - version 1.3 is the last version that would run on Tiger. There's a copy available on the Macintosh Garden.

3. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Lightroom 2 supports G4 processors. I don't know how well it runs but I've got a copy, I'll test it on my 12" 1,33 GHz PowerBook.

4. sarthak, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

sarthak macrumors 6502

I use LR2 on a PowerBook G4 12" (see link in sig for specs).

Speed:
    - I wouldn't use LR2 on anything lower than a 1.5GHz G4.
    - Runs better overall on my PowerMac G4 Dual 1GHz from the internal drives but lack of USB 2.0 makes it unusable from ext. drives.

Pros:
    - Does the job just as well as LR5. Some features are missing obviously.
    - Overall, it works great.

Cons:
    - Slightly sluggish when doing adjustments (not full on real-time, takes a second or less to come up).
    - It is a little slow zooming/rendering previews/exporting on the 18MP DNGs I am using.
    - No compatibility with 3rd party plug-ins like DXO/Nik etc. though, I can't recall when I last used them as they almost always degrade the quality and exaggerate the characteristics of the shot. Not much of a downside.
    - Does not seem to let me import newer model RAW as CR2 or RAW->DNG.

Workarounds:
    I use my OS X server machine to convert CR2 to DNG. Conversion takes about 3 seconds / picture, 2 s/p on my Mac Pro 8 Core, 40 s/p on the PowerBook G4. I haven't tested the speed on my PowerMac G4 but I'd assume it's much slower since it doesn't have USB 2.0.

5. hamis92 macrumors 6502

That's a pretty good summary. Thanks!

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It runs fine on my iMac. Could be better, but whatever. You might need to hack it to get it to work (I did), but it'll be fine from there.

You'll get more out of a Leopard upgrade too BTW.

7. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

My Mac can't run Leopard. And I don't want it to either. :p

Know anywhere where I can get an older trial of LR2 and Aperture to give them both a spin?

8. Elbert C macrumors 6502

It looks like one can still download LR 2.2 from Adobe's site. I also found some for sale on Amazon.

9. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

Sure it can. There is an open firmware hack or software called LeopardAssist that will allow you to install Leopard on unsupported Macs.

10. roadbloc thread starter macrumors G3

roadbloc

Oh I am fully aware I can do this. I just have no desire to. Chances are Leopard would run sluggishly at best on my iMac.

---

Solved my issue anyway. Found an old copy of Adobe CS3 for OS X lurking in my pile of unused software CDs and decided to keep iPhoto and just use Photoshop as an editor. Thanks for everyone's suggestions none the less. :)