Aperture - poor performance on my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by valdore, Dec 11, 2007.

1. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Could Aperture's lousy performance on my mac pro - despite it having 8 gigabytes of RAM now, stem from the fact that I configured it with a low rent graphics card? The straighten tool in Aperture is slow and sluggish, even after throwing more RAM into this beast. I'm using an NVIDIA GEForce 7300 GT, which if I recall was the cheapest graphics card available on the Mac Pro when I configured it online last May.

?

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

3. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Thanks for the information. Any recommendations on which replacement graphics card I should get for my Mac Pro - it's a photography computer mainly. :)

4. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

It's not your computer. Aperture is one of the most poorly written applications of all time. It's not like manipulating a photo should put the same stress on a GPU as Doom 3. Aperture has set new standards for (lack of) performance and I suspect it's a plot by Intel to prop up the market for faster and faster CPUs.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Actually, the code is set to use the GPU for lots of processes.

Here's a quote from Apple's page on your nVidia:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E4F2D7D&nplm=MA567Z/A

So maybe only having an 8 pixel pipeline is choking the application.

Get a fast, newer video card with the MAXIMUM memory you can afford, minimum 512 Megs...

6. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

The whole point of using the GPU is to offload graphics processing from the CPU to increase performance. The fact that Lightroom or any other image management software is capable of doing what Aperture does an order of magnitude faster on the same hardware tells me that if the 7300GT is the culprit, it is being very poorly utilized. The GPU is essentially being asked to render not 60fps or 30fps, but 0.5fps or less. There should be plenty of processing power in that GPU to run 2 dozen Apertures at once. 512MB of video memory to manipulate an uncompressed RAW image that is less than 45MB in size? WTF, Apple?