Aperture - problems with sorting photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bloodshoteyes, Mar 2, 2011.

1. bloodshoteyes, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

bloodshoteyes macrumors newbie

The problem I will describe I have been living with for over a year, since starting to use Aperture for some of my photo processing. I have not found a solution and finally want to ask others about this.

I use Lightroom for processing photos. But I use Aperture for sorting images as it is the only program I have found where one can have a bunch of thumbs laid out and just grab and move them around on the page into an order I want. I work with large batches of photos sorted in various project bins. Sometimes I want to grab a bunch from one bin and move them to another bin. Moving them is no problem as it is drag and drop. HOWEVER - the sort order is lost when doing this. The order gets RANDOMLY jumbled when moving this way.

For clarification: I have 2 project bins. Photos have been sorted in both and are in manual sort mode. The photos are in a specific jumbled order that I want them in. I grab a bunch, 8 photos for example and drag them into the other project bin. But when I go into that other project bin the photos are mixed up again, randomly. Have tested this many ways. The photos get jumbled in a different order each time. Why not let the user keep the order already selected? Why jumble them up?

Has anyone else looked into this? Am I missing a simple function or proceedure?

2. bloodshoteyes thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually just figured it out, only hours after my post! Selecting photo thumbs and then control-click gets you a menu with a "stack" function. That groups the selected photos and they can be moved around in the same order.