Aperture Question about RAW

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cypriot, Jun 16, 2012.

1. cypriot, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

cypriot macrumors regular

Hello,

I have imported my raw files from my camera. The photos were shot in Black and White but during the import, the pics were reverted to original colors. I tried some options in aperture but i like how they seem on the camera. But I discovered i had some faults I have to work on. So how can I revert master images to the colors and options in the version? I cannot find the option anywhere.

Thanks for helping...

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

When you import raw into Aperture (or other 3rd party program), all in-camera settings are lost. This is due to the fact that the camera vendors use proprietary methods to store those settings that 3rd party companies are not privy to. For example, the Nikon Capture application duplicates Nikon in-camera settings.

3. cypriot thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. So my camera is Sony a200 and sony doesn't have any software for mac.

Thanks

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I don't do any post production work in the camera. I do it within Aperture (and/or photoshop). You'll get a better feel of the image using your larger screen then the camera's tiny lcd display.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I also do absolutely no post processing in the camera. However, I shoot my photos in RAW+JPEG(fine). When I import into A3, I use RAW+JPEG (JPEG as Master). I find that my camera does a pretty good job overall for most shots.

Once everything is imported in Aperture, I go through the steps of select/reject, rate, stack pics, apply location metadata, etc... all using JPEG masters. Once I decide to build a project... I'll create an album, book, etc... and usually switch just those masters from JPEG to RAW... and then start image quality post processing using the RAW masters.

Storage is so ridiculously cheap now that I just don't worry about keeping everyone in RAW+JPEG, and I like the flexibility that it offers.

/Jim

6. cypriot thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.
    I dont do postprocessing in camera either. I even prefer not to touch my photos if I can. However raw files are impossible to leave like that.

So I guess i just discovered after your post that i shoot in raw mode only. I will try RAW & jpeg next time. See if that works.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

To be honest... I have never shot any pictures using the camera B&W mode. I suspect (but I do not know) that the B&W conversion is done in the camera automatically... and hence the RAW image imported in A3 is the same as if your camera was NOT set to B&W mode.

Not all cameras have a RAW+JPEG mode. I like it because the vast majority of my pictures look just fine as JPEG out of the camera. For example, I just took a trip to Hawaii with over 2000 pictures. They were all imported into A3 as RAW+JPEG pairs, with JPEG as the master. Of those, 155 were used in a photo book. Less than 1/2 of 155 were converted to RAW for post processing. My book looks great... and I only used the RAW file on a small number of the images... which minimized the amount of post processing I needed to do... yet all were available for RAW post processing if I desired.

As I said earlier... given the very low cost of storage now... I do not feel bad keeping all those RAW files around.

/Jim