Aperture Question: No Masters

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Racingthoughts, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Racingthoughts macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can assist.

It seems I don't have the masters of a lot of my photos that I am able to see when I launch Aperture. I'm hoping I can still use the photos, since I can visually see them on the screen, just not the masters. Yet everything I try to do I get the response that I'm unable to complete that without the masters.

Is there a solution?

It seems like the originals were deleted :(

Thanks!

2. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

?? are you just looking at the adjusted photo???

If you want to go back to the master, right click on the image then click reset all adjustments (or something similar)

Or you can export the master, again right click and you'll find your way from there. Aperture only displays your adjusted photo, id doesnt harm the orginal though

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

You can also see if the masters are in the folders of Aperture. Here is the path:
    user>pictures>"Aperture library". Right click, then choose "Show Contents". Then you should see a folder named "Masters". Here is a screen shot of what I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Extermi macrumors newbie

First I would make very sure that you actually deleted the masters. Are you manually managing the files and "referencing" them in aperture? If so, anytime you move the files, say from one folder to another or one hard drive to another, aperture will lose them. When that happens you can still reconnect to the master in aperture. Search through aperture help on how to reconnect to master images.

If in fact you did delete the master files, then your only hope at recovering the image is to find and save the image preview file. The preview file is what you are actually looking at on the screen. The preview is a lower res image file created from the master taking into account any edits you made. It is updated every time you make an edit.

the previews should be in the aperture library which you can explore per the post above. I am not exactly sure where in the library.

Good luck

5. Waybo macrumors regular

In "Viewer" mode, type "m" to switch back and forth between the Master and the adjusted version. (It's also about 3/5ths of the way down the the "View" menu. Does this help?