Aperture: Questions Before I Buy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hoodedwarbler12, Jun 8, 2014.

1. hoodedwarbler12 macrumors regular

I just have a quick question or two about Aperture. I've been using Lightroom for a long time, but I recently tried using iPhoto, and while it lacks a lot of editing capabilities, I love the organization of the iPhoto library. I was thinking about buying Aperture to have the same organization as iPhoto but also some more sophisticated editing tools for the photos from my DSLR. I'd lose a few of Lightroom's more advanced and recent options, but I think it would be nice to keep all my photos in one place, and I can keep Lightroom installed if I ever absolutely need one of its features. Does this sound like a good plan?

And I'm also wondering, if Apple ever releases a whole new version of Aperture, will I have to pay to upgrade to the new version or do I only need to buy the software once? That would be a major decision factor on whether or not to buy it. Thanks for answering!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I have had LR for years and just starting using Aperture. I like the Aperture UI much better. LR only does a referenced library, not a managed one. So I have imported the LR library into Aperture. Both programs can access the same set of master/originals. I would suggest using a referenced library with Aperture. That allows for the storage of masters/oringals on another drive. My library is almost 2TB. No way to have it on my rMBP's boot disk. So it sits on an external drive and is backed up by Time Machine.

When you import the LR library, Aperture will see and import any TIF or PSD files that have been created when you used a plugin (Nik, Topaz, Perfect Photo, Photoshop) to create a new version. What you will not see and import are the edits that were done only in LR and are inside XML files. This is another reason to hold onto LR until we see the new LR 6 (hopefully on the 18th) and the new Apple solution to be announced this fall. Then you can finalize your plans to go with either program.....or both.

There is no way to speak for Apple on the price for whatever the new solution will be. They could give it away to previous Aperture owners, they could charge a smaller upgrade fee, or change a new price....that we don't know. Anything more is simply non-binding guesswork until we hear from Apple in the fall.

BTW, you will usually see more discussion of Aperture and other photography apps on the Digital Photography forum. http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

3. hoodedwarbler12 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! I guess I'll just keep using my current version of Lightroom until either Lightroom 6 is announced and worth upgrading or Apple announces a definite solution.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's everyone's concern at this point. Lack of any information from apple on Aperture leads many of us to speculate.

5. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Wait for Aperture 4

I've been using Aperture since 2005 and the original V1.0 which cost over $500…
    I have tried many times to switch to Lightroom due to lack of updates form Apple, but really nothing can replace Aperture as far as speed and ease of use.
    I have to mention I am still using version 3.2.4. The latest versions removed some key features that I liked and the organization doesn't work as well. Also I have a lot of problems with video glitches on my Mac Pro with version 3.3.x

I must say though that the RAW processor in Aperture is NOT as good as Lightroom. It has many problems rendering detail in heavy shadows. Specially reds and blues are very noisy.
    My solution: I organize and catalog everything in Aperture and open the RAW file from the finder directly with Photoshop CS6 and use its own RAW processor.
    It's only an extra click but some images need it.
    I am disappointed that Apple is forgetting about Pro's and not caring to update one of their best Apps. I hope they will release Aperture 4 in the fall along with Mac OS X Yosemite.
    In the meantime, I will still be using my 2 year old Aperture which works great for me.
    Cheers

6. MCAsan, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I doubt any Aperture 4/X will be coming in the fall. They said at WWDC Photos app for Mac will not be released until early 2015. Likely they want to get past the launch of Yosemite and IOS 8 first. What they have not said is what will they do for the something above and beyond Photos for the advanced photographer. That could be something as simple as more advanced filters and plugins from Apple and third parties....using the same Core Image platform as is in Photos. I guess we will all know more this fall when Yosemite, IOS 8, and some other new products will launch.

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/
    Discussion of Photos for IOS starts around 01:13:00
    Discussion of Photos for Mac starts around 01:18:00