Aperture quickie ...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by monty77, Jan 30, 2012.

1. monty77 macrumors 6502a

I've got PS Elements but looking to get something more focussed on editing photos like Aperture.

I have all my photos in iPhoto right now shared to AppleTVs/iPads etc.. so I don't want to move my library from there. Even my wife can use it :)

I've set iPhoto to edit in Aperture but once I'm done with my edit how do I pass that new image back to iPhoto easily?

Thanks!
    M

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not use Aperture instead of iPhoto. Its not really designed to be strictly a photo editing application but a full featured Digital Asset Management application with non destructive editing. You lose a lot of capability trying to use it just as an editor.

3. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

..because we're used to iPhoto and it talks to iOS stuff way better than Aperture. I imported my iPhoto library into Aperture for a play and I couldn't even order by Events in the Library by date. I understand Aperture is aimed at a different user but that doesn't work for me. Perhaps I should stick to PSE for my editing ?? Is Lightroom any better for my needs?

Thanks!
    M

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would not recommend using Aperture as an external editor, because you may not get the images back from them in full uncompressed TIFF. I've had issues with aperture sending images to iPhoto losing image quality.

LightRoom and Aperture are counterparts doing basically the same thing. Check out the sticky Aperture vs. Lightroom in the digital photography forum.

I've used both and prefer LightRoom partly because adobe has shown a clear indication that they are improving the product. Aperture seemingly sits there for months on end without an update. Plus Adobe's long history of image editing means that I feel better about their commitment to the product.

In any case if you don't like how Aperture talks to iOS devices, you'll like even less LR as there's no integration.

If you're looking for an editor, then you can use PSE, PS or pixelmator any of those would be ideal for iPhoto.

5. wy328 macrumors newbie

as i know, you can not import photos from aperture lib to iPhoto...
    aperture's management is better than iPhoto, just try it,my wife loved iPhoto as well, but now she even can edit photos using aperture:eek::p

6. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response! I think for now I'll try importing all photos into Aperture for the first edit and then pull them over to iPhoto when I'm done using the browser from within iPhoto. It's a little clunky but it should do the job. I've tried using PSE but it's just not photo centric enough for me and stuff that takes 1 step in Aperture (dodge/burn) takes 2 or 3 in PSE.

It is worrying to see how many glitches there are in aperture though even with my limited use so far .. zooms turning the photo to a mosaic, it not remembering zoom levels, previews not auto generating, sitting there for ages 'processing' when there's nothing to do - feels a bit unfinished to me.

Cheers,
    M

----------

I can see how I could adapt .. but no proper integration with iOS is a deal breaker though, I really like Photostream and how my iPhoto library is shared on the AppleTVs etc...

Cheers,
    M

7. aristobrat, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

aristobrat macrumors G5

Maybe they've added more iOS integration to iPhoto since I switched to Aperture a few years ago, but Aperture syncs fine to my iPad/iPhone (I have them set to the last x events + certain selected events), and it syncs perfectly with Photostream. What's missing? :confused:

My main issue with iPhoto organization is that you can't put events(albums) in folders. I've got 10+ years of events, so it was horrible long list in iPhoto. In Aperture, I have a folder for every year, and all events go in those folders. You can sort events by date. Not sure why it didn't work for you.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'd be very uncomfortable using Aperture to edit photos, then moving back to iPhoto. I don't think Apple ever intended for this workflow. The weird things you notice happening in Aperture could simply because of a conflicts between the two. There may be hidden metadata being added by one that the other is not dealing with cleanly. Who knows.

My suggestion is to get some help from the Apple Forums, or better yet from an Apple Genius.... make sure you get a real photo Genius .... to see if the Aperture <->iOS integration you need can be achieved. Last year I spent 20 minutes in an Apple Store for the Photo Genius to finish up a prior project ... and she had me sorted in 3 minutes .... after I had a spent a week banging my head. (It was in fact an Aperture bug....) My point is... the right person will get you up and running in no time, or will tell you it can't be done.

Luck.

9. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I agree with others: probably better to stick with iPhoto or go to Aperture. Mixing and matching can create problems, and certainly redundancies. I share my Aperture photos with everything from the phone and ipad to my PS3 and Directv; sorry you're having trouble with that.

You don't really say what you need in the way of editing. Aperture isn't a heavy duty editor, although it can do a lot. Maybe you need to dive into Photoshop itself. I'd try demo'ing that and some other editors to see if you find one you like.

And here's another thought if you're using an iPad: edit some photos there. If you're old school and like dodging and burning, it's fantastic on an iPad. Snapseed, fer instance. (Or anything by Nik.) It's also available as a Mac application now. And there are others. I really am thinking I may eventually wind up doing a lot of work on the iPad; the laptop is still great for volume, but when I'm working away on just one special photo the iPad rocks.

Rob

10. monty77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK OK, I get it, don't use Aperture as the editor :)

...seeing as I'm stuck with iPhoto then I'm going to give Elements another chance so I got myself the 'missing manual' and I'm working through that. I don't do a massive amount of editing, usual things include:

- fixing levels etc..
    - using dodge/burn to lighten/darken image portions
    - Adding polarizing effect to portions of photo (not figured out how to do that yet!)

I have noticed one thing though. I can edit a JPEG photo from my library in PSE nicely and the changes save back perfectly. If I do the same with a RAW file the changes don't pop back into iPhoto - any ideas? Should that work?

..perhaps I'll save Aperture for 'special' photos that are shot in RAW, I generally shoot in JPEG as it's enough for my needs.

Cheers!
    Adam

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

I've never shot in RAW before so I can't vouch for this article, but FWIW:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3069014?start=0&tstart=0

12. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Aperture is just as "integrated" with iOS devices as iPhoto.

Aperture contains Photostream and works with AppleTV.

What sort of integration feature(s) do you think iPhoto has that Aperture doesn't?

13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree... reading this thread makes me realize that the OP is trying to unnecessarily add confusion to his life. I think he is trying to map A3 into a sub-optimal iPhoto workflow because of misconceptions.

A3 is a superb Digital Asset Manager (DAM) that will simplify one's life once they move to the app. It also has good "in app" editing, as well as plug-in capability to expand to most editing tasks.

A3 is superb at creating simple to use intelligent smart albums that can help one cull through 10's or 100's of thousands of photos and allow you to create automated collections that have relevance to the task at hand.

It also allows one to share these albums to other devices in the home... or to IOS devices.

In short.... A3 gives you the ability to "use" your pictures... rather than "store" your pictures... and will let you easily and effectively hide and de-prioritze all of the junk pics you have.

I have said it many times here... anyone considering using A3 should purchase Robert Boyer's eBooks. In a very clear and opinionated manner, they go through the "why" you should develop an efficient workflow.... and then goes through the how to do it. I personally learned so much from those simple books that you would never get in an A3 manual.

/Jim