Aperture - RAW to JPG

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stormbringer, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Stormbringer macrumors regular

I always shoot in RAW, but sometimes there are photos I really don't need to keep in RAW (as it's files are much bigger). So I want to convert my RAW files (after editing) to JPG.

But, I want these new JPGs to replace the RAW Master. Ideally, my editing would stay the same, but if it merges my editing with the RAW file it's okay too.

Exporting the photos, then putting them back in my library, deleting the originals, placing the new JPGs in the right folder/project/album is many work.

So I was wondering if someone knows how I can do these RAW->JPG conversions easier/faster. Thanks! :)

2. emotta macrumors member

3. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Replacing the RAW file with the JPG kind of goes against the grain of the main advantage of Aperture - keeping the master untouched. To that end apple doesn't provide a process to over-write the RAW master

you need to do what you wrote. If the RAW files are taking too much space why not get a larger HD they're cheap enough these days

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think this is good advice. If you want, you can always use an external HDD and move the pictures into being "referenced" vs "managed". I don't personally use this approach, but I believe that you can still have the previews (jpeg) available even with the masters being offline (and even disconnected).

/Jim

6. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks guys! :)

An external HD is surely an option, but not really necessary for the things I was referring to. Like photos of stuff I've put on auction - I want them to keep as a memory, but they don't have to be in spectacular quality.

So I think all is clear now!

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I would do this

1) export your photos as full size JPEG.
    2) export the Aperture project to external storage (for archive, just in case you need the RAWs again)
    3) delete the project once exported
    4) import the exported JPEGs as a new project

You say this type of approach is too much work, but you could probably create a workflow with Automator.

8. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of that too, thanks! Except the archiving of the RAWs, it's not always necessary for me.

Automator is a great idea! :)