Aperture support not dead ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by steve123, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. steve123 macrumors 6502

2. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68020

Alexander.Of.Oz

I would have thought that to be a prerequisite to actually using Aperture, that you had to format the referenced drive you were going to store your images on to a Mac OS format.

3. dwig macrumors 6502

It is not surprising that Aperture requires an MacOS formatted drive. This seemingly new post may be the result of people working with betas of High Sierra and its new drive format and encountering issues.

On the other hand, it is interesting that the "Rip van Winkle" that wrote the notice is so far out of date concerning Windows drive formats and what is commonly sold today. FAT32 hasn't been a commonly used format on Windows since before Windows XP and external hard drives haven't commonly been sold using that format for quite a number of years. NTFS is the common Windows format and the common format for non-Mac specific external drives. These days, FAT32 is only common on USB flash drives and the smaller memory cards. On larger flash drives and memory cards ExFAT is the common format since FAT32 comes to grief with large volumes. The SD/XC memory card spec specifies ExFAT.

4. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68020

Alexander.Of.Oz

I just discovered this about FAT32 when I formatted a USB stick to that and tried printing some images at a photo-kiosk on Friday for somebody! I had to come home and reformat it with ExFAT as the kiosk refused to see it.

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

The only question that this implies but doesn't answer if the new Apple File System in High Sierra works or not!

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

As of beta 7 APFS works just fine on High Sierra. I suppose the key question is if Aperture can run on top of APFS.

7. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

The OS interfaces with the file system. Applications, unless specifically designed for file system manipulation, have no visibility to it.
    Aperture should run the same as it would with HFS+.

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

There's nothing to be implied. Support articles normally don't refer to an OS in beta. No doubt this article will be updated after the release of High Sierra.

However, I am running High Sierra and APFS on my internal drive, and Aperture seems to be working just fine. I haven't pounded on every key and feature, so it's not a comprehensive assessment.

9. RednBlue macrumors member

RednBlue

I'd love to go back to Aperture, but would it be able to read my Photos library or would I need to do some conversion that might possibly damage / lose some or all of my images?

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Apple needs to bring this masterpiece back if they are going to support the creative market.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

But wasn't that addressed by Apple years ago? The closest thing from them is Photos with extensions.

12. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

No, it wouldn't be able to read a Photos library, and there's no conversion available/offered.