Aperture to iPhoto....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by defender, Jan 30, 2009.

1. defender macrumors member

defender

Is there an easy way to import all my images that are in my Aperture library into iPhoto 09? I want the originals, not the previews as I believe is what you get if you use the Show Aperture library dialogue...

2. billy920 macrumors newbie

Now that iPhoto has things like Places and Faces I can see this becoming a frequent request until (hopefully) Aperture catches up. The only time I really have this dilemma (Aperture vs. iPhoto) is when I create a Calendar once a year. I now create an Aperture Album containing all the pics I'm going to use and then export them a high quality tif (most are RAW format in Aperture). This works well for me.

There's a good discussion around library 'sharing' here: http://stuartforsyth.com/2009/01/29/an-aperture-users-thoughts-and-review-on-iphoto-09/ which might answer your question.

What it comes back to is what your master application will be - for me it will always be Aperture due to image manipulation, organising, backing up etc. iPhoto, however fancy, is only something I'll use for specific tasks. If you feel it's time to move away from Aperture then exporting all versions/masters is easy enough.

3. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I've moved from iPhoto to Aperture 3.1 6 months ago, using Aperture managed files, ie, moved everything from iPhoto to Aperture.

Now, being December, time to make the annual calendar.

Besides the export file thing posted above is there not any way to make iPhoto "see" the Aperture library so my wife can easily drop photos into the iPhoto calendar on the fly inside iPhoto?

Deciding ahead what photos we want to use, and exporting limits the flexibility of using the iPhoto calendar app.....

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

In iPhoto '09 and '11, if you click on File, there's a "Show Aperture Library" option. That opens a separate window where you can grab the specific photos from Aperture you want, drag them into iPhoto, and work with them on a calendar.

5. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

sweet and thx for quick response, I'll email and call my wife, she's got time today to start the calendar.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found going that route, at least in older versions did not provide the full res versions which caused problems when creating the calendar.

I finally opted to keyword the pictures I want in aperture, export those (in full res), and then import them into iphoto.

7. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

If so, :(:(
    I have iPhoto '09 and Aperture 3.1, so hopefully the full rez will come over, however if not then......maybe will make a quick calendar with the low rez one then take time/export the full rez for the real calendar.
    My wife does diferent layouts each month, put picts of family members on the bday date, etc......literally 100-ish pictures

If anyone knows that iPhoto'11 does this "correctly" and iPhoto '09 can't I'd hate to pony $$ just for this.....but there are some features in the other '11 suites (iMovie) I could also use....will check iPhoto '09 and Aperture 3.1 combo tonight and report back. I'm sure others here will shortly be in similair situtation.

8. mtbdudex, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Here's what I've found so far:

1) you can directly import from Aperture into iPhoto.
    You are presented with a selection box and can select how to view photos, put filters on what you want to see, pick a whole project or individual photos in a project, etc.
    Photo selection and filter method seems adequate.
    I took 2 grab shots here:
    LH shows viewing the projects themselves, name is not shown, the "hover the mouse to see the many photos scroll" works fine.
    The RH shows looking inside actual project itself, you can select 1 or many to import.
    Just grab what you want and drag/drop basically.
    [​IMG]

I thought "cool, this won't be so hard for my wife to select the past years shots for 2011 Calendar"..

Now the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say....

2) Now, here is the issue, the ONLY PP edit that comes across is your crop...yep I can't figure why but all other PP is LOST!
    Plus, the file is sized at 50%, comes across as a jpeg, and seems quite low Res.
    Example
    Here is pict with PP in Aperture shown:
    [​IMG]

My Aperture PP version via Export from within Aperture @ 50% size and 12 Quality to desktop as jpeg, then import into iPhoto, then upload to Picasa web @ better quality (1600 pix max):
    Direct import into iPhoto within iPhoto File Menu Show Aperture.
    (you have no control over import method/quality as far as I can see).
    Forget my kids silly faces, read the "rewards certificate" by the calendar here vs above, clearly detail/sharpening is lost/not applied, besides the other PP done in Aperture.
    Taking the above.......in Aperture my wife will have to put keyword on the photo she wants on our 2011 Calendar, export those, then import into iPhoto.
    Not creative or dynamic at all.....bad bad I don't understand why the PP besides crop is lost....
    I was even thinking to export all 2011 photos them import those into iPhoto, that's only 380 projects for over 12,000 photos......

Can anyone else test to see if just my situation for the PP being lost?
    I'm latest updates via Apple [Aperture 3.1 and iPhoto '09 8.1.2 (424) ]