Aperture to LightRoom

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, Jul 26, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any folks here who made the jump from Aperture to LightRoom

I downloaded the trial version of LR and I'm working with it. I'm impressed with the tools and abilities of LR over Aperture. Plus given that apple seems to let this wither on the vine makes me wonder about the long term viability of aperture as well.

Aperture does a lot things well, I particularly like the vault, its easy keywording and general workflow but the ease of editing in LR has me tempted.

So if anyone has jumped ship, please provide your insights, and also the inverse, if anyone has decided against doing so, please also say why :)

Thanks
    Mike

2. tritian macrumors member

Check the sticky in the Digital Photography forum. Lots of insight into the pros and cons of both applications.

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a photography forum - I'm bad :cool:

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i've made the transition from lightroom to aperture and back to lightroom.

i like apertures ease of organization, such as keeping everything in file or folder for all your pics. the vault specifically

though the main reason i chose to stay with lightroom forever is its ease of editing and fooling around with my pictures to obtain the feel i want. not to mention its undying perfect integration with photoshop cs3 or 4 if you have.

and the workflow is a bit more smoother.

but these are all just opinions from me. im sure others have their opinions on them sticking with aperture. but i just like lightroom better.

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, The hardest part for me making the transition is how each program attacks DAM differently. Aperture uses folders/projects/albums to organize, where as you use the folders and collections. I was preferring aperture's way of organizing the images but LR is growing on me.

This is why I'm leaning towards LR as well. I snapped a picture of my girls while on vacation last week, and it failed to come out too well (I had the flash turned off). The white balance was off and there was no area in the picture to use as a basis. Aperture was unable to adjust it, w/o much tweaking on my part. LR adjusted the WB and exposure perfectly.

I'm still adjusting to the workflow but it seems to be workable.

I really like the interface for LR and find it much easier to work with. One of my minor gripes with aperture is to know how many images in a folder/project or album. I like to know with what I'm dealing with. LR shows you upfront.

but these are all just opinions from me. im sure others have their opinions on them sticking with aperture. but i just like lightroom better.[/QUOTE]