Aperture to Photos! Anyone been successful ?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by charlie999, Jul 6, 2015.

1. charlie999 macrumors newbie

All I read on here is how migrating to photos from Aperture is a nightmare. I'm having major problems with it deleting the album structure for no reason an the ghost albums remaining at iCloud.com that I can't now delete. I'm also aware that forums are usually full of problem stories as this is how we fix them.

Who out there though has migrated a large library 10000 or more which were stored in many many albums and folders successfully to Photos with the album structure still as it was?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I migrated in an Aperture library of about 7,000 photos in around 200 or so albums with no issues. But I did not use any of the iCloud features either before or after, so that may be your hangup.

3. charlie999 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say "ICloud features what exactly do you mean please? Do you mean you've never logged onto iCloud.com?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No, I use iCloud for mail and calendar etc., but I am not using it at all for the photo storage integrated in Photos.

5. charlie999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I see. So none of your pictures sync to your iPhone or iPad etc. They just sit on your Mac.

Yes I think it's the syncing that messes it up.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Exactly. I don't use any of that iCloud sync stuff and have no issues.

7. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Is Photos you only image editing and organizing tool? How is it working for you?

8. Easttime macrumors 6502

I had no problem at all. I did the switch to Photos and turned on iCloud Photo Library a couple of days after the release last spring and have not looked back at Aperture. Took time for the first sync, but once that was done and I reorganized the imported Aperture folder structure (I use managed not referenced library), Photos began syncing everything flawlessly between my Mac, MacBook, iPhone and iPad. I keep originals on my Mac and MacBook, but picked the settings to download as needed on my iDevices.

See http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/im...igrating-new-photos-icloud-photo-library.html

I have been very happy with the editing tools in Photos, but picked up Affinity Photos for occasional heavier editing.

9. manu chao macrumors 603

I'd suggest to disable all iCloud features (which essentially is just Photo Stream) in Aperture before the conversion. As others have suggested, convert a local Aperture library into a local Photos library, then switch on cloud features.

You are aware that Photos doesn't have projects? That it converts projects into albums?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is working out fine for me as my only photo tool. I setup a smart album that lists all photos that are not in an album. So as new photos accumulate, I go through that album and select groups at a time then add them to a new album named whatever. So I am basically mimicking the old iPhoto behavior of every photo being in an event and I have adapted to that pretty well.

11. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Thank you. How does it handle RAW files? When you sync with an iOS device, does it sync the entire RAW file or will it convert it to a smaller JPEG? I'm thinking that I will have to have two libraries (one for RAWs and one for JPGs). Right now I'm in LR though.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry, I don't use RAW so don't know that answer to that question.