Aperture to Photoshop edit question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Apr 18, 2011.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

When working in aperture 3, it is possible to edit in Photoshop directly thru aperture 3? I know lightroom allows this but does aperture. I want to d/l from card to aperture, then perform some light editing in aperture, then if necessary, edit in ps working thru aperture, then save edit in aperture. Right now I export to desktop, edit in ps, save edit on desktop, then import back to aperture. Too many steps. Help...

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If you mean use the Aperture interface to access the PhotoShop tools, no. You can set Aperture to use PS as an external editor. You then right click on the image, select Edit in PhotoShop and the edited image will jump to PS. Aperture edits go to PS and the PS edits are saved in Aperture.

Dale

3. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

+1 as Dale said, I do this for those 5% things Aperture can't do as easily as photoshop.

Note aperture will make a duplicate file, send that to photoshop, then when you save the file is inside aperture right next to the original file. There is a small circle with cross hairs mark on it to distinguish it from the original file.

4. trjwv thread starter macrumors regular

Yes Dale, I meant use PS as external editor, so thanks for the info.
    Thanks mtbdudex, How many edits can be saved beside the original file and can I rename that or those edit's during saving or will I have to wait until after the save?

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

Aperture doesn't update with the edits until you save the edits and close Photoshop. Also note that it does not send any of the edits you may have made in Aperture over to Photoshop. It creates a copy of the original and sends that to Photoshop for editing. Then you can make further edits in Aperture with the Photoshop file used as the original. You can create multiple versions from that single original in Aperture and name any of the versions as you wish. You can, of course, create duplicates of the originals, too. You'll be using up lots of disk space that way, of course.

6. trjwv thread starter macrumors regular

Does Lightroom 3 send edits made within lightroom to PS for further editing?

7. AoxomoxoA macrumors member

Maybe I am missing something with what your saying here, but edits you make in Aperture sure do show up when you go to edit said image in Photoshop.

I work in RAW, so if I make adjustments to my RAW file, and see those edits... then right click <edit in photoshop>, the file that is created for me to work in photoshop will have those adjustments I made in Aperture present.

8. Keleko macrumors 68000

I know some didn't in a picture I worked on this morning.. For example, I edited down the red saturation, but when I edited it in Photoshop, that change was not present in the PS file that loaded. The crop I had made was also not present as I got the full size image. I don't know if others did or did not make it, but there's a specific example of some that did not show when loaded up in Photoshop.

9. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Keleko - I use Aperture 3 and shoot in RAW (Canon T1i), and all edits I make do pass over to CS5, then when I save in CS5 those are passed back into the newly created file in Aperture.
    Literally I've done this honestly at least 100-110 times...never once did a Aperture edit not pass into CS5. That is also how its described in Aperture 3 manual. There has gotta be something going on with your system.

File size jumps up, my RAW in Aperture are 17-19MB, the CS5 files stored inside Aperture are in the 80MB range, I can't explain that.

10. Keleko macrumors 68000

I think I know why now. The master was a Photoshop file already. So it wasn't changing the Photoshop master with Aperture's edits, since Aperture doesn't modify the master. Once I made my changes to the Photoshop master the Aperture edits would reapply to the updated master.

That's because Photoshop has much larger files, especially if you keep the layers in the saved file.

11. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yah you can export to PS and have them reimported direct.