Aperture Trial ending: Export Photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rusty2192, Oct 4, 2010.

1. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I needed to fix a few important photos that were out of iPhoto's reach so i downloaded the trial of Aperture 3. It did the job and I actually love using it. The only problem is, for my minimal hobby use of photography, i can't justify the $199 to buy a license.

So, that brings me to my question. I have 5 days left in the trial with no intention of buying the software. Do i need to export all of my photos in some way, or will the library still be there for me to dive into to get all of them? If i do need to export them, whats the best way? I have both RAW and JPEG.

2. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

what do you want to do with your photos you've imported into Aperture?
    My 0.02:
    If you are done editing them then export them back into iPhoto just for storage (jpeg, TIFF, whatever).
    If you think you might edit them more then export as 16 bit full size TIFF, import into iPhoto for further editing.
    Now, are you planning to save the RAW masters or what?

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Aperture won't delete the library file if you uninstall it. The library is a package, so open the package in Finder and poke around to make sure it contains what you need.

4. rusty2192 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will definitely save the RAW masters just for archives if nothing else. I think i am done editing, but i would like to keep the option open in case i ever find/feel the need to go back and change something. I'll look into exporting the TIFF as you said. Thanks.

So if do somehow miss something, its not like it will be lost forever, it just may require some digging through the Aperture Library package. Thanks.

5. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

The pictures with the adjustments you've made with Aperture will NOT be in the Aperture library. The RAW files will be there, as will Aperture's instructions to itself as to how to do the adjustments you've made, but the resultant image (AFAIK) isn't saved but rather generated on-the-fly by Aperture when you view the image.

You probably want to export everything you've editied, as 16-bit TIFF if you plan to do further editing in another program (or have loads of hard drive space free), or as high quality full size JPEG if you're finished with the editing.