Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Thanks for the explanation.
I myself use lightroom in the creative cloud atm.
I am thinking about purchasing aperture in the future.

What are the main differences between aperture and ligthroom?
I am just getting used to lightroom for ipad and i find it very limiting.
No correcting lens distortions, no upright, and so on.
How is aperture on the ipad? Same as the mac version?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
What are the main differences between aperture and ligthroom?

There is a sticky on that. You can find fanboys for both. Both are essentially a library manager with non-destructive editing tools. But IMHO neither has everything a photographer needs to develop every photo. That is why I spend more time on a given image in plugins (Nik, OneOne, PixelMator, Helicon), than I do in LR or Aperture.

No correcting lens distortions, no upright, and so on.

Correct. LR has some. But if you want serious lens corrections you need to get DXO Optics plugin. Again neither Aperture or LR can do what a specialty plugin can do.

I am just getting used to lightroom for ipad and i find it very limiting.
How is aperture on the ipad? Same as the mac version?

No Aperture lite for IOS at this time. I personally don't get trying to use such a resource limited (CPU, GPU, memory, screen size, missing keyboard and mouse, wacom connection?) device to do photo editing. In the field I use my rBBP screen for initial edits. At home I complete the work using an ATD. Both screens are calibrated.

It one thing for Adobe to release LR for iPad in the hopes of further binding folks to their cloud. It is another for Apple to do that as Aperture is not a cloud service (thank goodness).

With luck, at WWDC Apple will announce 4K support in 10.9.3 for rMBPs. And just maybe they will announce a new ATD that is 4K. And that would set the stage for a new Aperture that can take advantage of higher resolution screens. We have a month to wait for WWDC.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Thx. I shouldve looked at the sticky. Since lightroom runs in the cloud I think they could make a full version of it on the ipad. I use my ipad mini most of the time and i know its not most peoples cup of tea but it works for me amazingly.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Every time I see this thread's title, I think of John Cleese dressed as a British judge in robe and wig being petitioned by a barrister- "M'lord! Apple has been negligent in updating Aperture!" It devolves into a Monty Python sketch from there...

Paul

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
But for me the single best reason to go with LR is that there's a trial. I can't imagine in this day and age buying something that costs as much as Aperture, that involves a substantial investment in learning, and also commits your work to a structure WITHOUT a way to test it. I didn't buy Aperture until I had a chance to see if it met my needs.

I use Aperture, but you are spot-on about the need for trial versions of expensive software.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Correct. LR has some. But if you want serious lens corrections you need to get DXO Optics plugin. Again neither Aperture or LR can do what a specialty plugin can do.

LR does lens correction pretty well, Aperture doesn't do it at all. DXO Optics is very nice but also requires exporting to a tiff file, which is a non starter for me.

Ps. Aperture is DEAD!!!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Ps. Aperture is DEAD!!!

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
Mark Twain

Perhaps after WWDC we should know if we need to have a wake or can celebrate an anastasis.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
Mark Twain

Perhaps after WWDC we should know if we need to have a wake or can celebrate an anastasis.

For me it doesn't matter, I moved on to LR. Why would anyone wait for years for a product update. Even if they do update Aperture, why bother, their track record of keeping software current is abysmal....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.