aperture using iphoto library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cyrus109, Apr 6, 2011.

1. cyrus109 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Small question regarding the use of iphoto library in aperture.
    I have in my iphoto about 5gig's of pictures, i would to be able to edit them in aperture. I saw that you can import the pictures from the iphoto library without copying them a second time( meaning using the iphoto library as library for aperture).
    Now what happens if new pictures are added to iphoto, will they automatically be show in aperture also ? or do i need to reimport the library again ?

Thx,

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think its possible and I wouldn't recommend it. You'll be using a single proprietary libary with two different applications. The risk of corruption or issues is high at that point.

Just use Aperture as it has more features and abilities. then if you want an iPhone only feature, e.g., calendars, then import what you want into iPhoto

3. cyrus109 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't fully understand what you ment with " then if you want an iPhone only feature, e.g., calendars, then import what you want into iPhoto" as i do own an iPhone 4.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I mean is to use aperture and then if you want an iPhoto specific feature that is not found in aperture. Import a copy of the images to iPhoto to use that feature.

To my knowledge, I only know of one feature that is not in aperture but in iPhoto. The ability to create calendars.

Basically what I'm saying is to avoid trying to force both apps to use the same iPhoto library but instead use Aperture to its fullest extent and then only use iPhoto on an as needed basis.

5. cyrus109 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok Thx now i got it.