Aperture vs. iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Speedracer04, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Alright, I just got a copy of Aperture and I was just wondering if there was any need or use to keep iPhoto or can I just do everything in Aperture now as far as viewing and editing photos and delete iPhoto? :cool:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I can't imagine that there is something iPhoto can do that Aperture doesn't. Plus, they both maintain different file structures so I would imagine it would be hard to use both.

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

If you're just puttering in digital, Aperture is far too heavy for your needs. iPhoto is fine for basic editing and management.

Aperture is specifically designed for Pro users, who need to quickly manage and edit thousands of images... For the home point & shoot user, it will most likely seem clunky.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Can Aperture create slideshows with Ken Burns effect and export them for iMovie or iDVD?

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I'm not sure seeing as I don't use Aperture (I use Lightroom), but not having the ability to easily export slideshows from iPhoto is a real pain.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nope, Aperture can't do that, or create cards, calendars or any of the other consumery things that iPhoto can. But you can tell iPhoto not to copy files on import and then open the Aperture Library in iPhoto. You can then use iPhoto to do all these things will the rendered previews from Aperture.

7. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I wouldn't delete iPhoto, as it's integrated into iLife you might regret not having it later on.

8. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

And, Aperture is a very large system resource hog. Make sure you have enormous memory resources.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I doubt that will work. Aperture does not create new versions of the pics after edits, so you'll only have access to the originals. You'd have to rotate or whatever other modifications you did once again in iPhoto.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It does work. It's one of the reasons they added the previews in 1.5. Every time you edit an image it gets added to the background queue to regenerate a preview. Of course if you have preview generation turned off then this is not going to work...

If I were you I'd listen to this podcast which talks about doing this sort of thing.

11. inico macrumors newbie

I like aperture it's just that I would need to upgrade if I was to get it :/

12. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

i'd like to know what the guy originally asked. Can you delete iphoto? I deleted mine but...now I cant seem to delete the "iphoto library" from my trash....anyone know how?
    edit - nvm it was locked. just had to change the permissions

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When I switched to Aperture, as I had all my original images in my Pictures file, I imported them into Aperture. I then deleted my iPhoto file - I was pleased to see the back of this because it was taking up so much space on the HD. I find Aperture less space hungry on the HD and far more useful both in organising and in correcting images. In the past I often had to resort to Photoshop, now, I rarely use it.

Aperture does uncorporate a slideshpw feature, sans the Ken Burns effect - in my opinion, not a great loss! - and, even though I've never used it, prints of images can also be purchased and books produced and purchased.

14. Zea74 macrumors newbie

Your pics in Front Row. Won't work if iPhoto is empty or gone.

15. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I would definitely keep iPhoto and use both if you like the more consumer orientated feature that iPhoto has. I do use both for that very reason. Organise the photos from an external disk in Aperture - edit them and then bring them into iPhoto. It works very well and is a good structure...

16. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Can Aperture create slideshows with music like iPhoto?