Aperture vs. LightRoom

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, Jul 23, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a current user of Aperture and I like some of the features of the application but by the same token, I think apple has forgotten about the app. Its been quite some time since we seen any updates (other then a minor patch). There are things apple can do to polish the interface better. Improve performance in some areas provide increased functionality, etc.

I could be wrong but adobe seems to be providing a quicker turn around with LR and is seemingly more popular with photographers.

Any rumors that apple will be updating Aperture?
    Any rumors that apple may kill off Aperture?
    Any users of LR who would like to chime in on the advantages of LightRoom?

2. MoWheels macrumors newbie

I can't comment on Aperture firsthand, but I do use Lightroom extensively. Lightroom is simply "the bomb" for managing and processing large numbers of images. I began using it when it first came on the market. I was a Windows user then. It was a huge improvement over Nikon's Capture Nx. I had some performance issues on my old PC though. After moving to the Mac over a year ago, and the subsequent updates to LR, it is all good now. The Mac Pro with plenty of ram just hums with LR. The multithreading allows several things within LR to be going on at once on a multicore machine. The develop module has enough tools to retouch the vast majority of images without needing to use Photoshop. The print module produces excellent quality output with lots of layout options. The implementation of camera profiles has pretty much satisfied those who felt LR's raw conversion was too "flat".

I don't want to ever go back to processing a wedding without Lightroom!

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I do like aperture but I also feel like its missing some of the things that I see in LR. I tried LR a while ago, I'll probably give the demo another shot. I'd love to see adobe produce a Linux version but I'll not hold my breath ;)