Aperture won't start in 64 bit mode

Barnzee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Every time I launch Aperture in 64 bit mode I get an error that says Aperture cannot be opened because of a problem. In the details it says

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

When I click the option to run in 32 bit mode it runs just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? its version 3.1.3 and I have tried re-downloading from the Mac App store several times and get the same error.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
What kind of mac are you using?

Perhaps you don't have a 64bit Mac.

Are you booting into 64bit mode of OSX because by default OSX boots up the 32bit kernel

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
What kind of mac are you using?

Perhaps you don't have a 64bit Mac.

Are you booting into 64bit mode of OSX because by default OSX boots up the 32bit kernel
Whether the OS is running in 64 or 32 bits has no bearing at all as to whether a program can run as 32 or 64 bits.
The problem you're having isn't with Aperture itself. The file referenced in your error is where the problem lies.
Try this as a test:
Open terminal, and paste or type in the following:
Code:
file /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager
and let us know what it says. It seems like you may need to reinstall the OS or at the very least, the latest 10.6.8 combo updater, which might replace that file.

Barnzee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Ok I pasted it in terminal and this is what I got:

Last login: Thu Jul 14 16:09:52 on console
Nathan-Barness-MacBook-Pro-2:~ Barnzee$ file /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager
/Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager (for architecture ppc): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
/Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
Nathan-Barness-MacBook-Pro-2:~ Barnzee$