Aperture won't start in 64 bit mode

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Barnzee, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Barnzee macrumors regular

Every time I launch Aperture in 64 bit mode I get an error that says Aperture cannot be opened because of a problem. In the details it says

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
    /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

When I click the option to run in 32 bit mode it runs just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? its version 3.1.3 and I have tried re-downloading from the Mac App store several times and get the same error.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What kind of mac are you using?

Perhaps you don't have a 64bit Mac.

Are you booting into 64bit mode of OSX because by default OSX boots up the 32bit kernel

3. Barnzee thread starter macrumors regular

I have the 2011 MBP. How do I tell what mode I'm in? Activity Monitor shows all my Applications running in 64 bit

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Whether the OS is running in 64 or 32 bits has no bearing at all as to whether a program can run as 32 or 64 bits.
    The problem you're having isn't with Aperture itself. The file referenced in your error is where the problem lies.
    Try this as a test:
    Open terminal, and paste or type in the following:
    Code:
    file /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager
    and let us know what it says. It seems like you may need to reinstall the OS or at the very least, the latest 10.6.8 combo updater, which might replace that file.

5. Barnzee thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I pasted it in terminal and this is what I got:

Last login: Thu Jul 14 16:09:52 on console
    Nathan-Barness-MacBook-Pro-2:~ Barnzee$ file /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager
    /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
    /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager (for architecture ppc): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
    /Library/Frameworks/PluginManager.framework/Versions/B/PluginManager (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
    Nathan-Barness-MacBook-Pro-2:~ Barnzee$

6. chrfr macrumors 603

7. Barnzee thread starter macrumors regular

Now that I think about it this did happen after I installed Final Cut Express. I'll try this solution