Aperture

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Badrottie, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Why Aperture makes two copy of photo? It would eat up some spaces on SSD!

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

iPhoto does that too. It's so annoying. But you know, at the end of the day, sometimes having that original unmodified photo is better for some people.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you edit something in a plug-in or external photo editor, Aperture creates a "version" of the master file. If you're editing in a plug-in, it's essentially a virtual copy (i.e. no second file is created, just a "virtual copy" with those edits). If you edit a master in Photoshop, then either a new TIFF or PSD is created.

The intent is that your master/original file is never changed (i.e. nondestructive editing).

4. mikepro macrumors 6502

For the most part, it doesn't. All it stores are the master file, and then a list of changes/edits. So you can take an original photo, make several versions of it all with different adjustments (say one black and white, one cropped, etc) and it does not triple the space required. It just stores your edits for each version. It does create a preview (if you have it enabled, which you probably do) or each version for sharing with iLife and such.

It's actually fairly space efficient.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Mike,

I think your explanation is spot on. Your last sentence describes the preview... which for most of us is a 2nd copy of the image. A3 really shines when you have lots of versions with lots of edits.

/Jim