APFS available for Fusion Drives?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by CNebs, Jun 4, 2018.

1. CNebs macrumors member

With APFS being removed from Fusion drives, and Craig stating again recently APFS will be rolled out to Fusion drives, anyone know if it’s in Mojave?

2. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

Should be - it was on that usual slide with all the new features they didn't have time to speak about.

3. DerfBWH macrumors 6502

Looks like it, yup! Notice "Apple File System for Fusion drives" in this year's "word cloud."

Attached Files:

4. CNebs thread starter macrumors member

I missed the keynote this year, but was wondering if anyone who has grabbed the beta knows. We thought with High Sierra we were getting it, and then last minute here’s step to downgrade your APFS Fusion drive before deploying the GM.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    Awesome!

5. pythagorasuk macrumors member

6. ocrane macrumors member

ocrane

What machine are you trying to install on?

7. pythagorasuk macrumors member

late 2012 iMac still running high sierra beta with apfs

8. chrfr macrumors 604

You'll need to get off that ancient beta to move to 10.14.

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yes, its in the beta. I wanted my Fusion drive updated to APFS and good thing because it did it without asking. Time Machine is still HFS+ but that's fine.

10. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Late 2017 iMac 5K i7 with 1TB Fusion drive was converted to APFS during install process.
    No regrets so far...

11. sumo.do macrumors regular

sumo.do

So it appears to be the case now that you cannot (officially) run APFS on a Fusion Drive on a 'non-Mojave compliant Mac'. I have a 2011 Mac mini server stuck in High Sierra because it misses the cut on being Mojave compliant. This Mac mini runs a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (both 2.5" internals). I appear to have three realistic choices:

1. Run the drives unfused with SSD formatted as APFS and HDD formatted as HFS+ (Apple's default setup given it is a pre-fusion drive Mac).
    2. Run the drives unfused with SSD and HDD formatted as HFS+.
    3. Run the drives as Fusion Drive in HFS+ (current setup).

I am not so worried about the change as I rebuild often. So I am not so concerned about the easiest approach. I am just wondering if there is any benefit at all from running the SSD stand alone in APFS unfused given the Mac mini will live out it years stuck in High Sierra.

Suggestions?

12. pythagorasuk macrumors member

I took your advice and I’m now happily running Mojave’s beta 10.14.1 .

13. minik macrumors 65816

I upgraded my Late 2015 Fusion Drive iMac to Mojave and it automatically converted to APFS. Even with FileVault turned on, I do 'feel' some improvement over HFS+ in terms of speed.